Unable to uninstall WSS/WDP after BSOD RRS feed

• General discussion

• To anyone that may have had a similar problem; I have WSS installed on a number of computers.  I have noticed that occasionally, when they reboot, they reboot to a BSOD.  If the computer is restarted (press the power button) then it comes up fine.  Normally I will uninstall WSS then reinstall it and everything will then be fine.  No more BSOD.  I have a couple computers that will not turn off WDP and will not let me uninstall WSS.  I log in as an administrator, open SteadyState, click to turn off WDP, and it says that the computer has to reboot, just like normal.  When the computer is back up, WDP is still turned on.  I have tried this multiple times.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• You could try the more forceful way to remove WDP:

You need to uninstall WDP using the underlying app called SPUNINST which is located within

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallWDF01005$\SPUNINST

This might be a hidden folder if you try to navigate there, but if you type that line into a START/RUN dialog box, you'll get there immediately.

Just run SPUNINST.EXE located there, and let it uninstall and remove WDP. Reboot if required.

If everything went well, WDP is now completely removed, not just deactivated.

To forcefully remove WSS, follow the same procedure within

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallSCT$\SPUNINST

Saturday, January 12, 2008 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

The steps in the following thread may be helpful:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2495510&SiteID=69

Regards,

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:01 AM