none
2 Domains and 1 DHCP, I can't make it work without manually assinging DNS to every computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First of all I mostly deal with networking and don't have much experience with Win Servers.

Here is a set up:

Windows Server 2012 Standard - RN1.local/192.168.3.254

Windows Server 2016 - mhc.local/192.168.2.254

So, 2 domains located in different offices and connected through VPN. (Sonicwall <> Sonicwall)

I have 42 computers receiving DHCP from 192.168.2.254 and connected to mhc domain except 4. Those 4 computers are still receiving DHCP from 192.168.2.254 but connected to RN1 domain. The way i have set it up I simply assigned DNS of 192.168.3.254 on those computers and then was able to join them to RN1 domain. Couple of days ago I had to fix some stuff on those 4 computers and wasn't able to log as administrator because if was giving me "There are no logon servers available to service the logon request". I then logged as local administrator and noticed that there's no DNS in network settings on any of those machines. So, I added DNS again and everything works fine.

I want to make it, so I don't have to add DNS manually on every computer that has to be on different domain. Otherwise it can't find RN1 domain when I try to join. I tried one thing where I added 2nd DNS to DHCP scope but it didn't help as shown in picture below

Friday, April 12, 2019 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can these 4 computers get IP addresses from DHCP? Can other computers get scope options?

Please use command ipconfig/renew to renew DHCP leases.

I would suggest you configure reservations for these computers.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Can these 4 computers get IP addresses from DHCP? Can other computers get scope options?

Please use command ipconfig/renew to renew DHCP leases.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

- Yes and yes.

-How can it help since DHCP is fine?

• Edited by rickrollMS Monday, April 15, 2019 3:15 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

So, these 4 computers can get IP addresses from DHCP, but there are no options.

I would suggest you catch DHCP packets and check the options in the offer packets.

I assume that DHCP server may be not offer options.

I suggest you configure reservations because you can configure reservation options for these computers.

Best regards,

Travis

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:32 AM