Applications still group even after setting 'never combine'. RRS feed

• Question

• Please understand before replying that i am already aware of the 'Never Combine' option for 'TaskBar Buttons' under 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties'.

I have this option turned on, so that my taskbar does not group applications into one button. 2 copies of notepad have 2 taskbar buttons, just like vista and earlier.

My question relates to the fact that even with this setting on, the applications are still grouped. For example, after ensuring you have "Never combine" turned on, open up a notepad instance. Now open up any other application to create another taskbar button like calculator - now open another instance of notepad. You will see that the notepad windows are grouped together and can not be moved independently. I find this behaviour extremely annoying because i am quite particular about how my taskbar buttons are organized (which is why i loved the new feature to move them around).

There is an application called "7 Taskbar Tweaker" which has an option to turn this behaviour off - however, the application must remain open which is less than ideal.

Monday, March 14, 2011 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, if the icons belong to one application, whatever they are grouped or not, they cannot be moved individually. It is by design.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 25, 2011 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please let me know if you are in domain environment?

I suggest removing the 7 Taskbar Tweaker and performing a Clean Boot since I can ungroup the items with "never combine" option.

If the issue persists, you can create a new user account to check the result.

If the new user account still has the issue, please go to check the following group policy.

Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Prevent grouping of taskbar items

If you enable this setting, it prevents the taskbar from grouping items that share the same program name. Following is the corresponding settings in registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, ensure NoTaskGrouping value exists and its data is 1

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:37 AM
  • No, not a domain environment.

I hope you understand what i mean. I am not talking about the consolidation of multiple windows into one taskbar entry, i am talking about the grouping of individual taskbar buttons by application id (i.e. they can not be moved independently) which still remains after that setting is turned off (the "Never Combine" option under "Taskbar and start menu properties" in control panel).

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi Nizmo,

I see what you mean. Even when dragging items they remain attached despite the attempted relocation of one along the taskbar. Personally I find it more convenient that it groups them by application, but I can see why it might annoy you.

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . TechSmart Computer Repair
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, if the icons belong to one application, whatever they are grouped or not, they cannot be moved individually. It is by design.

Best Regards,

Niki

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 25, 2011 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:45 AM