• Question

• We have two main builds...

Build 1

Office: 2010 (32Bit)

Zone Settings: Enabled - Trusted, Intranet, Internet

Build 2

Office: 2016 (64Bit)

Zone Settings: Enabled - Trusted, Intranet, Internet

In Build 1 all images in emails load without issue. In Build 2, images will load in some emails but not others. This happens with both internal and external messages. I have compared the Zone lists on both and they are identical. On both builds, in the trust center of both versions of Outlook, under Automatic Downloaded, we have the following options enabled...

Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items

Permit downloads in e-mail messages from senders and to recipients defined in the Safe Senders and Safe Recipients Lists used by Junk E-mail filter

Permit downloads from Web sites in these security zones: Trusted Zone, Intranet Zone, Internet Zone

All other options are disabled/unchecked.

I have compared the headers and didn't see anything that would point to why 2010 works as expected but 2016 doesn't.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:49 PM

All replies

• In Build 2, images will load in some emails but not others.

How is the picture displayed in Build 2? A red x, or a blank box shaped/sized like the graphic or photo?

Also, you mean the issue occurs for some emails but not others in the same user's mailbox?

If the users see a red x in Outlook, then most likely (sine you already have Outlook configured to download external content) the user's temporary file folder is "full". Try to follow the steps mentioned in this article to troubleshoot the issue:

https://www.slipstick.com/problems/red-xs-in-email/

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Yes, it is displaying the red X.

Yes, this is happening in the same user's mailbox. That said, it is happening in multiple mailboxes.

One user is reporting that if they open the email and the images do not load (red X), if they click on Forward, the images load in the forwarded view. I have not had a chance to test or replicate that behavior yet.

I will try the suggested article and report back. In the mean time, if the additional information makes you think of anything else.

Thanks

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:09 PM
  • So I set up an new PC with Build 2 on it and I get the same behavior so I doubt it is a temp file issue as it is a clean build with no history yet. Now I say the behavior is the same but not exactly. Now some images that weren't populating before are populating now on the new build but not all. I tried copying the image paths and pasting them in IE to see if the load but they aren't linked images, they are embedded. I can paste them into MS Paint.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Friday, January 27, 2017 3:13 PM
  • I found the problem. The team that builds our Office package for got to include the MSP file for Outlook that sets the zones in the last update we pushed out. Got it fixed.
    Monday, January 30, 2017 1:19 PM
  • It’s great to hear the issue has been solved.

Would you mind marking your reply as answer so that other users could find the useful information soon? 

Appreciate your contribution.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:16 AM