word file on server taking ages to load and freeze the PC RRS feed

• Question

• hi all, we have configured new servers recently. i migrated all the data to new servers using some free tools. now when a user opens a word document from new server, the word is saying 'contacting \\old server name\folder\sub folder\file.doc press esc to cancel' at bottom left hand corner of word window and it is taking really long time to open the files. If i press 'esc' then it opens immediately. but there is no message in windows 7 and its really frustrating. i couldn't get my head around with it. all i can say is, for some reason the template in all the documents is referring to our old server. is there a way to get rid of this template for all documents in a go, we have thousands of documents like this. can some one please help me. thanks
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:47 AM

All replies

• You will have to change the attached template in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box so that these documents no longer reference the non-existing path.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:57 PM
  • yeah, but is there a way to it for all the documents in a go? for example, running a script or something similar. 
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:02 AM
  • "jai23155" wrote in message news:c102e3d0-d161-4691-8fe2-c55cef788baf@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    yeah, but is there a way to it for all the documents in a go? for example, running a script or something similar. 

You’ll need a macro that processes all files in a folder. If I remember correctly, there is one at the http://word.mvps.org/index.html site (but I don’t recall the link or the article name right now). The macro must be modified of course.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:00 PM