Windows 7 64 bit, boot time slowing down, desktop icons and taskbar loading very slowly for the past week! RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 64 bit, boot time slowing down, desktop icons and taskbar loading very slowly for the past week!

so first i will begin with my system specs:
    Dell Xps15z
    intel i7 - 2640M @ 2.8ghz
    Nvidia GT525M 2GB
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64bit

Samsung SSD PM830 2.5" 7, 218gb, 42gb free

My laptop is now over just a year old, and has been performing well outside of some blue screen errors which have been resolved. The issue now is the boot time being significantly slower, especially the loading of the desktop. It takes 15 seconds to the password screen, 45 seconds to get to the desktop and another 45 seconds for the taskbar, icons, and things on the desktop to load. What is unusual is that during this black screen, my mouse is showing, as well as the performance monitor for Advanced System Care 6(i doubt that is the problem as i have had it installed for some time). I have done troubleshooting on my own and removed about half of my startup programs to no avail. I have also checked the health and performance of my SSD with as SSD and SSD Life and both seem to be very positive. I have not made any changes to the Bios because i don't want to reinstall my OS, and im not really sure about the workarounds. 

I have also tried to fix the explorer.exe task, by checking the shell value in the registry and it is correct, it just loads slowly on startup and anytime i kill it and then open it again in task manager. Therefore, I think my main issue is with explorer.exe loading slowly for some reason, I have also removed some desktop and taskbar icons, although I doubt that makes much of a difference. 
    I have also done numerous scans with malware bytes pro and hitman pro, there are no viruses on my machine. 

I appreciate any help as it is very annoying for my boot time to be upwards of 90 seconds, when it was around 20 when the laptop was new. 

Thank you for your help!

P.S. I do have about 60gb of games installed on my pc through steam, if that makes a difference to remove some

update: someone told me to uinstall advanced system care 6, didnt help at all. pc doctor shows me the startup time and its constantly listed at 1 min 23 seconds, with 74 seconds being software but almost nothing i can disable

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:00 PM

All replies

• follow my guide [1] to make a boot trace and compress the boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as 7z or RAR and upload it to your Skydrive [2] and post the link here.

I take a look at the trace, maybe I see what's wrong with your Windows.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:05 PM