Issue with vertical taskbar using small icons. - after logoff / login or reboot, taskbar resizes as if large icons are being used. RRS feed

• Question

• Here is a screenshot... http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs284.snc3/27859_10150182470525523_591685522_12739880_7920629_n.jpg

after setting the "small icons" option to true, it appears normal (left side) but after reboot or logoff, it appears to be using the size for large icons (right side)

I did some searching and I'm not sure if it's true that this was intentionally done for touch screen accessibility. In any case I want to know if there is any way to override this?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi mehring,

The normal behavior of the small icons in Taskbar should be displayed as the right one in your screenshot.

Please check if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, create a new user account to check the result. If the issue does not occur in the new user account, you can perform the steps in this article: Fix a corrupted user profile

Regards,

Linda

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:10 AM
  • "The normal behavior of the small icons in Taskbar should be displayed as the right one in your screenshot."

Thanks for clearing up the confusion I thought it might have been intentional. Maybe an update should be required to keep it from changing to the left side of the screen-shot after initially applying the settings. This would clear up a lot of the confusion I see on the message boards. I am still sort of confused why you are asking me to perform troubleshooting steps if this is normal behavior.

Is there anyone that can answer the second part of my question... is there any way to override this setting.. perhaps by creating or changing a value in the registry?

I did try creating a new profile anyway just for kicks. Same issue happens. It also happens on a different computer in my house running windows 7 when using a vertical task bar.

Friday, May 28, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Ok so I figured out when I launch an application that forces windows to go into compatibility mode (disable aero transparency) and then close the program so areo transparency comes back, the problem will be permanently fixed while I am logged in. So my question is... how would I make a script / application that I can put in the startup folder to force itself to run and then immediately close so we can finally get this issue resolved?

I can write / compile computer applications.. I'm just not sure what I need to do to initiate the compatibility mode.

EDIT: nvm... wrote a simple application with 4 lines of code in Basic to solve this issue. If anyone else happens to need the program to fix this issue just send me a message

Monday, May 31, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hi mehring,

I've been scouring online forums for a fix to this issue. Is there any way you could share that application with someone with little to no programming skills?

-regards

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:15 AM