none
Release control of default browser for IE 11 back to users

Question

• We control IE through Group policy preferences, and we were forcing IE to be the default browser and received complaints.  I then disabled it being the default browser and also having issues.  Is there a way I can stop controlling that preference and give it back to the users so it is not grayed out with a selection either way?

Thanks,

Dave

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Friday, April 21, 2017 10:57 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 10:57 PM

All replies

• maybe...

what specific method were you using within GPP, and what settings were you applying?

when you 'disabled it', what did you actually do? did you unlink/delete the GPO, or, modify the GPO? if you modified the GPO, what did you change it to be?

it sounds like you may have been using GPP-Registry? and you were setting a key/value, and now, you've 'abandoned' that setting, possibly leaving it tattooed? (I am guessing, since there's not much detail above...)

if so, you may need to deploy a revised setting, either using the 'Delete' feature, or, perhaps (depends upon the setting you are using) a revised 'Update' setting..

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Hi Dave,
    As Don said, if your GPO is configured with group policy preference, the preference has tattoo feature, when a GPO goes out of scope, the preference value will remain in the registry. In this case, you could configure another preference setting with registry item to revert registry value into default or just delete the value.
    Please see details from: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/grouppolicy/2008/03/04/gp-policy-vs-preference-vs-gp-preferences/
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:58 AM