Unable to Sequence the application RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to sequence an application but was unable to install it when the sequencer is monitoring. It shows error as 'C:\Windows\System32\mcf71.dll' the file specified is not found. But the same application can be installed in the same Windows 7 OS build without sequencer running. However, by reviewing I found that if I manually copy the 'mcf71.dll' file to 'C:\Windows\SysWoW64' folder the issue resolves. But could anyone tell me the root cause for the application to behave as such while monitoring in sequencer. I have too many 'dll' files to be copied.

Any suggestions Please?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:27 AM

Answers

• The below link is a blog article explaing WOW64 which is worth a read.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gauravseth/archive/2006/04/26/583963.aspx

As a Quote:"All of this is done transparently to the application by WOW64, which, in intercepting calls to the operating system, detects references to file paths and registry keys and maps them accordingly."

"This system allows 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same applications to be installed side-by-side on the 64-bit operating system without risk of overwriting one another’s files or inadvertently accessing the wrong versions of the same library."

If we remember that the SQN is not just a "Before and After" snapshot function but is monitoring what "newly spawned process" are doing, then logically the x64 Sequencer is intercepting the x86 calls before WOW64 (as above) intercepts the call and redirects. So whilst monitoring, the Sequencer is seeing the x86 application ask for %ProgramFiles% and assumes that to be "C:\program files\" as it is an x64 Sequencer, but once the call gets to the OS, Windows knows that the x86 location is C:\Program Files (x86)\, and this results in the Packaged results being "wrong". If the x86 app is packaged on an x86 version of the OS then the references and file locations are correct and at execution time the OS WOW technology will work as designed.

I would always bare this is mind when Sequencing and Package on the same "x--" Version as the application. i.e. Only Package x64 Applications on an x64 OS. x86 Applications should always be packaged on an x84 OS and deliveres to either client platform.

Regards
    Duncan

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, November 19, 2010 11:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:37 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried sequencing it on a 32-bit operating systems?

/Znack
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Thanks Znack!

I'm sequencing the application in App-V 4.6 version. Since this version supports both 32-bit and 64-bit application. Will it be a issue for this application? As this application is a 32 bit application.

Regards,

Virtual_World!!

Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Hello,

I don't know if that will be a problem.

Did you sequence it on a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

/Znack
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi Znack,

I did it n Windows 7 64 bit machine..

thanks!!

Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Hello,

Could you try to sequence it on a 32-bit windows system?

/Znack
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:32 PM
  • The below link is a blog article explaing WOW64 which is worth a read.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gauravseth/archive/2006/04/26/583963.aspx

As a Quote:"All of this is done transparently to the application by WOW64, which, in intercepting calls to the operating system, detects references to file paths and registry keys and maps them accordingly."

"This system allows 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same applications to be installed side-by-side on the 64-bit operating system without risk of overwriting one another’s files or inadvertently accessing the wrong versions of the same library."

If we remember that the SQN is not just a "Before and After" snapshot function but is monitoring what "newly spawned process" are doing, then logically the x64 Sequencer is intercepting the x86 calls before WOW64 (as above) intercepts the call and redirects. So whilst monitoring, the Sequencer is seeing the x86 application ask for %ProgramFiles% and assumes that to be "C:\program files\" as it is an x64 Sequencer, but once the call gets to the OS, Windows knows that the x86 location is C:\Program Files (x86)\, and this results in the Packaged results being "wrong". If the x86 app is packaged on an x86 version of the OS then the references and file locations are correct and at execution time the OS WOW technology will work as designed.

I would always bare this is mind when Sequencing and Package on the same "x--" Version as the application. i.e. Only Package x64 Applications on an x64 OS. x86 Applications should always be packaged on an x84 OS and deliveres to either client platform.

Regards
    Duncan

• Proposed as answer by znack Friday, November 19, 2010 11:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:37 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Thanks a lot!... Znack & Duncan..

It had helped me out...

As u have mentioned to sequence the application in x86 OS. I would have definitely tried to sequence the application in it, but due to restriction in my office and my clients requirement its not possible to use 32 bit OS. So I have manually added the missing files and sequenced the application successfully.

Right now the application launches successfully in user mode, but fails to launch in admin mode. It gives the following error.

'Unable to access the private key'

Any Suggestions please?

Regards,

Virtual_World

Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hello,

So - what happens if you review the activity with process monitor?

/Znack
    Monday, November 1, 2010 6:14 PM