"Log Off" button disappears when "Force Restart at Logoff" is selected RRS feed

• Question

• We have just deployed a new public access computer lab in our library.  We're using Steady State and, so far, everything is going very well.

I have, however, encountered one puzzling problem.  We really want to make certain that any files/changes made by a patron are wiped out before the next patron uses the machine, so we would like to use the "Force Restart after Log Off" option on our public profile.

When I get our public profile set up this way (having turned off disk protection so my profile changes will stick), however, the "Log Off" option disappears from the Start Menu entirely when you log in under the public profile.  And, since we have disabled shutdowm/restart, there is now no easy way for patrons to log off.

I didn't see any other setting which seemed like it would cause this.  And if I keep the "force restart at logoff" button uncheced, the logoff button in the Start menu reappears.

We're still learning to use Steady State (having switched from Deep Freeze)., so it's possible I'm missing something obvious...any help/advice appreciated.

-Greg Williams
    West Linn Public Library
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting here.

Please check if the Log Off button is on the top of the Start menu. When “Restart computer after log off” is selected, it will create a shortcut direct to %SCTPath%ForceLogoff.exe, which has the following parameters:

/Restart

Restart the computer

/Logoff

Logoff the current user

/RestartLogoff

Ask if the user would like to logoff, and restart the computer if they click Yes.

The RestartLogoff parameter is added to the shortcut to force a restart logoff. Based on this theory. We can create a Log off button manually with the following steps.

1. Log on with an administrator account.

2. Right click your Desktop, click New -> Shortcut.

3. Type in “%SCTPath%ForceLogoff.exe /RestartLgoff” without quotations and click Next.

4. Type in a name for this shortcut (Example: Log Off). Click Finish.

5. Move it to the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\

The following steps are optional, in case you would like to change its icon:

a. Right click the shortcut, click Properties. Under Shortcut tab, click Change icon.

b. Type in or copy the following location, select the Log off icon and then click OK.

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

6. Log on with public user account to test.

Hope the above information helps.

Best Regards,

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting here.

Please check if the Log Off button is on the top of the Start menu. When “Restart computer after log off” is selected, it will create a shortcut direct to %SCTPath%ForceLogoff.exe, which has the following parameters:

/Restart

Restart the computer

/Logoff

Logoff the current user

/RestartLogoff

Ask if the user would like to logoff, and restart the computer if they click Yes.

The RestartLogoff parameter is added to the shortcut to force a restart logoff. Based on this theory. We can create a Log off button manually with the following steps.

1. Log on with an administrator account.

2. Right click your Desktop, click New -> Shortcut.

3. Type in “%SCTPath%ForceLogoff.exe /RestartLgoff” without quotations and click Next.

4. Type in a name for this shortcut (Example: Log Off). Click Finish.

5. Move it to the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\

The following steps are optional, in case you would like to change its icon:

a. Right click the shortcut, click Properties. Under Shortcut tab, click Change icon.

b. Type in or copy the following location, select the Log off icon and then click OK.

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

6. Log on with public user account to test.

Hope the above information helps.

Best Regards,

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Thanks so much for the assistance; I created the shortcut as suggested, and it's working well.  It's showing up under Start->All Programs, and not in the expected place at the bottom of the Start menu; accordingly, we're creating a bit of signage to help with that, as well as putting an additional shortcut on the desktop.  If there is some way for the log off button to remain in its 'traditional' position at the bottom of the start menu when the "Restart computer after logoff" option is checked, that would be great.

I had thought we were using Steady State 2.0, but I didn't see a way to check the version number from the program itself.  If it helps, the version number on the executable is: 5.1.2600.3370.

Thanks again!

-Greg Williams
    West Linn Public Library

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:50 AM
  •  

Hi Greg,

I am glad to hear that the information I provided was useful.

If this is a beta version, it can be displayed in the Title bar of SteadyState, otherwise, it will be SteadyState 2.0.

As the shortcut we created is different from the original log off button, thus, it is an expected behavior that it's not in the right position. In addition, if you are using Windows XP style Start menu, the shortcut will be under All Programs. You can switch to Classic Start menu to test. Also, if the original issue occurs under Classic Start menu mode, please also click the Shut Down button to test. By default, it will provide the options to Shut down or Log off.

Regards,

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:46 AM