Feature Request: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to have an option to virtualize an Hyper-V Host and run virtual machines on that VM. Only for lab and demonstration purposes no production support need for that. This is only possible at the moment if im running this Hyper-V VM as VMware Virtual Machine. Very Nice would it be to have this function in Hyper-V (Windows Server Hyper-V and/or Windows Client Hyper-V)

• Edited by Michael-CM Friday, December 5, 2014 7:21 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 9:24 PM

Answers

• @mknuel

This is a feature that has had multiple requests and has been added as a request for Windows Server 2016.  In this session by Chris Hallum at Ignite in Chicago, he mentioned that a decision has not yet been made on it.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2325

Thanks, John Marlin Microsoft Server Beta Team

• Marked as answer by Michael-CM Monday, May 18, 2015 8:48 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Thank you for post regarding nested VM's. On my Hyper-V TP4 I put the command

Set-VMProcessor -VMName 'Windows 10 Pro' -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

Got that from looking at the script, but that worked. Enabled Hyper-V on that Win10 VM, did nothing else. So appreciate the script and all it does but to learn need to look at the script and find command, so posting this for further info.

• Marked as answer by Michael-CM Friday, December 4, 2015 8:36 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hi mknuel,

>>Very Nice would it be to have this function in Hyper-V (Windows Server Hyper-V and/or Windows Client Hyper-V)

NO, hyper-v does not support nested installation , it needs to be a bare-metal installation .

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, December 8, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Hi mknuel,

>>Very Nice would it be to have this function in Hyper-V (Windows Server Hyper-V and/or Windows Client Hyper-V)

NO, hyper-v does not support nested installation , it needs to be a bare-metal installation .

Best Regards

Elton Ji

[ ... ]

Elton I think we all know Hyper-V cannot do nested virtualization :) We (I'm also...) voting for nested virtualization being ADDED as a feature if not in Windows Server 10 then at least in 11 :)

P.S. That's for demos, labs and also there are some nice production scenarios like replication of running VMs to cloud.

StarWind Virtual SAN clusters Hyper-V without SAS, Fibre Channel, SMB 3.0 or iSCSI, uses Ethernet to mirror internally mounted SATA disks between hosts.

Monday, December 8, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Hi mknuel,

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Yes I know, therefore i wish to have this feature ;-)
    • Edited by Michael-CM Monday, December 8, 2014 6:24 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 6:24 PM
  • I totally agree. I'm using nested virtualization quite a long time on Macs with VMWare Fusion and this feature rocks testing environments.
    Monday, December 15, 2014 8:47 AM
  • I don't think Microsoft will implement nesting for Hyper-V in the near future, but closest thing for now would be to use Microsoft Virtual Server 2005R2.

I haven't tried to use it myself in a 'nested' environment until now, but I am very interested to know how it behaves in that situation and hope you will give it a shot an report your findings here.

I sometimes still prefer this 'older' virtualisation solution because it is easier to setup than Hyper-V.

I use it not only for test environments but also in production environments.

Until now I didn't do 'nesting' but I think it is possible.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 5:46 PM
  • No Microsoft Virtual Server 2005R2 is definitly no option for me (and also other people here i think).

It's so old and it has awful bad performance no 64 bit Support and and and...

For me it is the oldest virtualization technology you can use and its designed as layer two virtualization on top of an running OS. Therefore the performance in general is always from bad to worse than layer one virtualization like Hyper-V.

Experts you can correct me if i'm wrong with this layer numbers ;-)

• Edited by Michael-CM Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:59 PM
  • @mknuel

This is a feature that has had multiple requests and has been added as a request for Windows Server 2016.  In this session by Chris Hallum at Ignite in Chicago, he mentioned that a decision has not yet been made on it.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2325

Thanks, John Marlin Microsoft Server Beta Team

• Marked as answer by Michael-CM Monday, May 18, 2015 8:48 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Hi John,

thanks for this Information. I hope ;-)

Unfortunately the video isn't availabe at the Moment ... 

Michael

• Edited by Michael-CM Monday, May 18, 2015 6:33 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

here is information to nested virtualization from Ben Armstrong at Ignite:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/C9-45

Beginning from 5:30 minutes left.

Michael

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:15 PM
  • The Nested Virtualisation with Hyper-V is now a released a feature.

If you are running Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Pro RTM (minimum build 10586), you can enable nested virtualisation.

Requirements: Dynamic memory must be disabled, and if networking is required, MAC spoofing must be enabled.

To Enable Nested Virtualisation:

Microsoft has provided a PowerShell script  (Enable-NestedVm.ps1), and another for checking the current nested virtualization configuration status of VM hosts (Get-NestedVirtStatus.ps1).

Both scripts must be run with elevated privileges, and the name of the VM host to be configured for nested virtualization must be passed to the Enable-NestedVm.ps1 script as shown below, replacing the value of the –VMName parameter with the name of the VM to be configured.

Example:

Enable-NestedVm.ps1-VmName'VM-Nested'

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such
    http://virtualizacaoegerenciamento.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:12 AM
  • Thank you for post regarding nested VM's. On my Hyper-V TP4 I put the command

Set-VMProcessor -VMName 'Windows 10 Pro' -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

Got that from looking at the script, but that worked. Enabled Hyper-V on that Win10 VM, did nothing else. So appreciate the script and all it does but to learn need to look at the script and find command, so posting this for further info.

• Marked as answer by Michael-CM Friday, December 4, 2015 8:36 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:58 PM