Windows 7 desktop shortcuts to network locations mysteriously and randomly disappear RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who is running Windows 7 Pro in a network environment.  About every week or so, certain shortcuts that he has on his desktop that point to network locations mysteriously disappear. 

He takes his laptop home on occasion, and I am suspecting that it has something to do with the laptop not being able to find these network locations when he is off-network.

I have other users who are running Windows 7 Pro, and are not experiencing this problem.

Does anyone have any specific advice on this?  I have done some searching and have found others who are having this problem, but there doesn't seem to be any specific solution.

Thanks for any help!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:22 PM

Answers

• I think I found the answer:  disable System Maintenance troubleshooter:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

However I had to take a slightly different direction then the KB article specifies.  In the KB article, it says to go to:  Control Panel-->System and Security--->Find and Fix Problems.  However I do not have a "Find and Fix Problems" shortcut as mentioned in the KB.

Instead I set Control Panel to display small icons, and then went to: Control Panel-->Troubleshooting-->Change Settings (on left side).

• Marked as answer by zooeyhall Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:28 PM