Taskbar Icons change on their own RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Win7 Home 32. Periodically, the icons on the taskbar decide to change. So, as I write this, IE8 has the Firefox icon, and WinAmp has the IE icon. Interestingly, Firefox and Notepad have the correct icons, as do Open Office, Thunderbird, WMP 11, and My Documents.

The taskbar order, from the start button, is MyDoc, WMP, TBird, OOo, WAmp, IE8, FF3.6, NPad. Sometimes, all of the icon are changed but usually just the last three or four. Is this a hidden feature or a bug? How does one fix it?

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations. http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-Our-Lord-Jesus-Christ/dp/1449947565/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265754374&sr=1-15
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:28 PM

Answers

• Hi LilBro, I suggest you first try the following steps to reset icons:

1. Open Folder Options to select (dot) Show hidden files and folders.
    2. Open a Windows Explorer window.
    3. Go to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local 
    4. Right click on IconCache.db and click on Delete.
    5. Click on Yes to confirm the deletion.

NOTE: This deletes the file to the Recycle Bin. It is safe to empty the Recycle Bin when finished.

6. Close the window.
    7. Empty the Recycle Bin.
    8. Restart the computer.
    9. When you go back, you will notice the Size of the IconCache.db file is smaller, and the Date Modified is now the current date. 

NOTE: If for some reason IconCache.db is not there or the size has not changed much, then just restart the computer again. You may need to restart a couple of times in some cases.

10. Check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue still occurs, you can try a System Restore.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, July 30, 2010 1:24 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:05 AM