none
Advanced TCP/IP Settings with DNS and VPN (register this connection address with DNS) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Consider the following scenario

a) laptop join to office domain
    b) user bring the laptop back home and connect to the internet using his/her home ISP network
    c) user connect to office VPN.  Office's DNS servers IP addresses get added into Network adapter by the VPN client software.
    d) user network adapter tcp/ip advanced setting for DNS is originally set to "Register this connection address in DNS"

q1) since the laptop is already join to office domain (which has a corresponding zone in the office DNS servers), and the laptop can access the office DNS servers through the VPN connection , with "d)"  above, does it means the laptop "currently at home" will be registering with the office DNS its IP address at "HOME" ?

q2) if the above is a "Yes" , how long will the entry stay in the DNS until it get removed ?

How do i prevent a user who brought his laptop home and connect to vpn from registering his home ISP address with the office DNS servers ?

Regards,
    Noob

Sunday, March 12, 2017 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1.By default,  "Register this connection address in DNS"  is not selected.If it was selected,yes,it will update.

2.It depends on your VPN  lease period  settings.

3.You could create an OU for VPN cilents,and apply follow GPO to this OU:

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.By default,  "Register this connection address in DNS"  is not selected.If it was selected,yes,it will update.

2.It depends on your VPN  lease period  settings.

3.You could create an OU for VPN cilents,and apply follow GPO to this OU:

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards
    Cartman

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hello szejiekoh,

Could you please post the solution what you have to resolve the issue. For me also it's the same issue, the DNS server has IPs (User's network IP and VPN IP). I have a requirement to restrict not to send the User's IP to the DNS server when VPN connection established.

Please let us know how you resolved the issue.

Regards,

Arun.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:21 PM