Flashing task bar icons RRS feed

• Question

• In windows 7 64 bit enterprise my task bar icons flash regularly for no apparent reason.

For example when i have a word document or excel spreadsheet open i will be reading it and then the icon starts flashing, i click the icon and it stops flashing but nothing else happens. i often have such documents open for several hours as i refer to them often while i work, and the flashing seems to happen regularly throughout the day. i find this very distracting and cant understand what the idea for this is.

What is the purpose of this flashing, what is windows trying to communicate to me, or is something not functioning as it should? Any suggestions or help will be gratefully received.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• what program do you have open when you see it flashing? Is it an office program?

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:23 PM
  • seems to happen predominantly with MS programs - word, excel and outlook and i think also IE, altho i don't use that much, but i think it also happens with other non MS programs too.

sometimes it happens while i am viewing a word doc or excel spreadsheet it will start flashing every time i scroll, or every time i click into another window. i cant really make any sense of it.

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

You may modify the following value and see how it works.

Before modify the registry keys, please take a backup of the key. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please click the following link to view the article:

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

1) Type regedit in your start menu search bar and open up the Registry Editor.

2) Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP

3) In the right pane, right click on ForeGroundFlashCount.

4) Click on Modify, and change the Value to 0.

5) Close Regedit.

6) Log off and Log on or Restart the Computer to apply the changes.

ForegroundFlashCount

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957205.aspx

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your help, i modified the registry as you suggested but that doesnt seem to have stopped the issue.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Hi,

Try clean boot, in order to exclude 3rd party applications or services that may cause the problem. Please refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also, test the issue in Safe Mode to check the result.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Thanks for your help...i will try what you suggest when i get a chance - busy day, i will let you know if i can figure it out...
    I saw the flashing happen once today in a non microsoft program too...
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:58 AM