Bitlocker deencryption RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have encrypted my external hard drive in South Korea by using windows 10 enterprise version. Then, I used the same hard drive in India for a while I have no problem with any PC opening up my hard drive. Now, I am using computers in USA but failed to unlock my bitlocker encrypted external hard drive. I tried using cmd, enter my password, it says password failed to unlock the device and I tried with recovery key using force recovery all of my sectors are failed to recover. I tried with computer with TPM and without TPM no of them are working. When I plug into any computer having windows 10 it says "this device was encrypted with advanced version of windows, cannot open in this computer"(also tried all version of windows/ also analyze defective sectors by using HDD, no error found on the device). When I tried with computer having windows 7 enterprise version, "its say recovery key was not found on the disk". So, please help me to fix this issues. 

Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you enable auto unlock on the external hard drive?

Would you please let me know on which OS you are trying to unlock the Bitlocker? and Where do you save the Recovery key?

Make sure you get the right one, the recovery key is only composed by numbers.

Please try commands below to decrypt the Bitlocker:

manage-bde -unlock E: -rp BitLocker Recovery Key

If still we cannot decrypt the external hdd, please try command tool here to repair your Bitlocker drive:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523219(v=ws.10).aspx

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:25 AM

All replies

• If neither the password nor the key give you access the data is gone for whatever reason.  Yet another reason not to encrypt

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, June 11, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you enable auto unlock on the external hard drive?

Would you please let me know on which OS you are trying to unlock the Bitlocker? and Where do you save the Recovery key?

Make sure you get the right one, the recovery key is only composed by numbers.

Please try commands below to decrypt the Bitlocker:

manage-bde -unlock E: -rp BitLocker Recovery Key

If still we cannot decrypt the external hdd, please try command tool here to repair your Bitlocker drive:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523219(v=ws.10).aspx

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:25 AM
  • Hi, 

I tried with windows 7 ultimate and Windows 10 enterprise. I tried to resolve by using bitlocker repair tool in windows 7 but nothing worked out for me. This is file generated during my encryption

Identifier:

7068A25E-F68E-47D2-A8F3-1DF8C6D51F45

If the above identifier matches the one displayed by your PC, then use the following key to unlock your drive.

Recovery Key:

134376-133947-172414-385253-694518-707542-717673-481635

I tried with manage-bde also repair-bde command but again nothing working its says password and key both fails to decrypt the drive

Please help me to resolve this issue. Thanks a lot for your support.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Hi, 

I tried with windows 7 ultimate and Windows 10 enterprise. I tried to resolve by using bitlocker repair tool in windows 7 but nothing worked out for me. This is file generated during my encryption

Identifier:

7068A25E-F68E-47D2-A8F3-1DF8C6D51F45

If the above identifier matches the one displayed by your PC, then use the following key to unlock your drive.

Recovery Key:

134376-133947-172414-385253-694518-707542-717673-481635

I tried with manage-bde also repair-bde command but again nothing working its says password and key both fails to decrypt the drive

Please help me to resolve this issue. Thanks a lot for your support.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 4:28 PM
  • Bitlocker would not be much good if you could circumvent its encryption,  you cannot,.  The data is gone.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:12 PM