none
Office 365 integration monitoring for failures and re syncing passwords

Question

• Hi,

Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Windows Essentials role install recently stopped syncing passwords to office 365.  My first question is how should I be monitoring for this failure.  The PCNSSVC event 2100 is indicating success.  However the password is not updated in Office 365.  Are there other services or events that need to be monitored?

Next question, assuming password to get of sync.  Is there a way to force the integration to resync all of the passwords?

Thanks,

Cameron Slade

Friday, November 17, 2017 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, password synchronization occurs immediately and automatically when a user changes the password for their user account from a domain-joined computer or by using Remote Web Access. Please try to change password and confirm the result.

Besides, please note that:
    If Office 365 is integrated with Essentials, users should not change the password for their Microsoft online account from the Office 365 portal, and do not manually change online account password in Office 365. Doing so will break the password synchronization.

In order to force password sync, you may try to manually re-start below services:
    1. Password Change Notification Service
    2. Windows Server Essentials Email Service

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Eve,

Thank you for your response.  However you didn't address the main point of my question so I will try to be more clear.  Here is the scenario.

Windows Essentials/Office 365 password synchronization stops working 

User changes password from <old password> to <new_password> in Active Directory 

Password is now out of sync with Office 365. The user now has to login to Office 365 with <old_password> and AD with <new_password>

Windows Essentials/Office 365 password synchronization starts working/gets fixed

At this point, passwords are out of sync and as far as I know the only way to re-synchronize passwords is for users to change their AD passwords again.

Is there a way to sync passwords or does password sync only happen when an AD password change event occurs?

Regards

Cameron

R  

Monday, November 20, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

As password for user account and O365 are already different, as fat as I know, the current way to re-sync password would be force the user to change their password, in order to trigger password sync working mechanisms.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, November 23, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, November 27, 2017 1:45 AM