none
After installation of KB3191898 (Outlook 2007) or KB3203467 (Outlook 2010) all attachments in RTF-formated mails are blocked for opening

General discussion

• KB3191898 and KB3203467 have already a "Known issue" section stating: "If an email message includes an attached email message, and the attached email message's subject line ends with an unsafe file name extension as listed in the Blocked attachments in Outlook page, the email attachment will be blocked for recipients. To fix this issue, save the email message to the computer and rename its subject line so that it does not end with an unsafe file name extension. Then, attach it to the email message to be sent."

It's even much worse than that: All attachments in RTF-formated mails (f.e. .ppt or .doc files) are blocked in Outlook 2007 / Outlook 2010 for opening with a popup message stating "The Program used to create this object is Outlook. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding." Same happens when trying "Save as...", only "Copy" and "Paste" to a folder works fine.

After deinstalling KB3191898 / KB3203467 included files can be opened again by double-clicking.

<If you like the initial opening of the thread, please feel free to vote as helpful, thank you> 

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:04 PM

All replies

• I started, collecting issues at Office/Outlook und Windows Patchday issues. A German blog reader left another workaround for Outlook 2010: Go in Outlook to File and select Options. Go to security center and to settings for security center. Then uncheck the option to read messages ‘in text only format’ (I could not test it).

Gruß/greetings G. Born - Blogs: http://blog.borncity.com

Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:17 AM
  • I saw that, too. The hint was the opposite: Select Option "in text Format only". Then attachments can be opened again by double-clicking, but every mail looks ugly in text-only format, like in the 80s. Not really a workaround for everyday usage. Deinstalling KB is the real workaround, until Microsoft fixes this issue.

• Edited by YellowShark Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:03 AM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Deinstalling KB is a bad workaround, as it is a Security-Fix. Also the Option "in text Format only" should be used as a security feature.  I also had a user where Outlook said a docx file is potential unsafe, the Filename was something like "blabla exchange between Bla-Str. and BlaX Str..docx" the "str." is used as an abbreviation for street. The Problem seems to be the two dots imho...
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Deinstalling KB is a bad workaround, as it is a Security-Fix. Also the Option "in text Format only" should be used as a security feature.  I also had a user where Outlook said a docx file is potential unsafe, the Filename was something like "blabla exchange between Bla-Str. and BlaX Str..docx" the "str." is used as an abbreviation for street. The Problem seems to be the two dots imho...
    After some tests in our Network (Exchange and Office 2010) i can confirm the Problem with the dots. It seems that all file attachments with a punctuation mark at the end of the filename are being blocked.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:38 AM
  • A "!" in attachment's name also leads to it's blocking
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:22 AM
  • That blocking should be normal behaviour for files with a "punctuation mark at the end of the filename" and has nothing to do with this specific update issue. Even the file Explorer warns you, if you try to add a dot at the end of a filename, making the file useless.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:25 AM
  • In many Networks of our Customers thats not correct. If i save a file with a punctuation at the end the Explorer accept ist without warnings. But Outlook warns the user if he wants to add this file.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:36 AM
  • OK. Its a feature but not bug. But how users can open old messages? If you've used drag'n'drop then attached file with a long name it automatically changes from real name to something like this blablablablablablablablabla.docx -> blablabla...docx

The name was shorted and added some point to name. Users cant open old attachments in outlook now only via OWA.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 12:17 PM
  • And even worse. Solution mentioned here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/829982/-outlook-blocked-access-to-the-following-potentially-unsafe-attachments-message-in-outlook does not seems to be working in that case (files with additional dots in its names before extensions). Such a ridiculous update...

Thursday, June 15, 2017 12:46 PM
  • External companies send attachments with long names. How do I tell them all to send attachments with short names? It's impossible!

Need a workaround...

Thursday, June 15, 2017 12:49 PM
  • dexlezz, ЛК, suddenly it's not about long or short names — it's about additional dots before extension in file's name. To example: document.pdf will not be filtered, but document..pdf will be marked as potentially unsafe for some reason.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:29 PM
  • dexlezz, ЛК, suddenly it's not about long or short names — it's about additional dots before extension in file's name. To example: document.pdf will not be filtered, but document..pdf will be marked as potentially unsafe for some reason.

I know, if i put a dot at the end of the file, there will be two dots. BUT also, if the file contains more than 61 characters and past them to outlook, then the file will have 4 dots instead of 1.

To example: "Long document with more than 61 characters.pdf" after attach in outlook it will look like "Long document with more than 61 characters....pdf" 

So there are two problems with one result =)

Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:54 PM
  • To S0m3Th1nG_AwFul

Explain again. Sorry for my French.

Try to attache a file with long name to letter, more or equal ~70 chars (use drag'n'drop not Insert-Attache file)

What you will see? Right, the long name was renamed and it became a shorter and added dots before extension.  And just imagine that user can open these letters in past. After update they doesnot.

• Edited by ЛК Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:59 PM clarifying
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:58 PM
  • To S0m3Th1nG_AwFul

Explain again. Sorry for my French.

Try to attache a file with long name to letter, more or equal ~70 chars (use drag'n'drop not Insert-Attache file)

What you will see? Right, the long name was renamed and it became a shorter and added dots before extension.  And just imagine that user can open these letters in past. After update they doesnot.

That's what I'm talking about. The problem starts if there are more than two dots at the end.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:04 PM
  • In 2013 the problem is repeated
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:13 PM
  • There is one more bug or not. :) But it works fine earlier but not now. The character "!" in the name of file.

If it exists in the name of attached file also blocking. As i know the characters that illegal in Windows file are:

? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " ,

but not !

• Edited by ЛК Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:18 PM clarifying
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:17 PM
  • We are running Windows 7 64-bit with Office 2007 32-bit and I had a users have the same issue with a PDF file.

I uninstalled KB3191898 and that fixed the issue.

I hope this is not a new "feature".

Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:24 PM
  • We have both 2007 and 2010 Outlook clients on Win7 x64.

These updates prevent opening Any attachments in the Calendar events. Our service dept uses a shared calendar to schedule service engineers and they put Attachments in the event (ie Pdf's, Spreedsheets).

Error:

The Program used to create this object is Outlook. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding. to edit this object, install Outlook or ensure that any dialog boxes in Outlook are closed.

Only solution I have found is to remove the updates.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Agreed, the only solution we have found is to uninstall KB3203467 and reboot which allows our Outlook 2010 x86 clients to open email attachments.

Any news of a fix please Microsoft?

Best regards
    Scott

Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:28 PM
  • Thank You - Update came out on 6.6.2017 and my WSUS deployed on 6.14.2017.

Took several people out here....

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:34 PM
  • I did report the same problem with the ".." before the file extension there:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_winother/outlook-shows-that-attachment-is-potentially/8386e01f-1569-48a2-96e6-2f3103c51ca2

Tons of attachements in already existing e-mails are useless now and as already mentioned above, how can you handle it when you get e-mails with such attachments from external companys?

I don't see any good reason for this behaviour so I guess its a bug.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:50 PM
  • Can this be worked around by creating a group policy to not block certain ..doc etc files?

There is a policy option to stop blocking level1 and level2 blocked items.

Templates->Outlook 2010->Security->Security Form Settings->Attachment Security

Don't have a 2010 machine at hand right now to test.

Friday, June 16, 2017 7:44 AM
  • We have both 2007 and 2010 Outlook clients on Win7 x64.

These updates prevent opening Any attachments in the Calendar events. Our service dept uses a shared calendar to schedule service engineers and they put Attachments in the event (ie Pdf's, Spreedsheets).

Error:

The Program used to create this object is Outlook. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding. to edit this object, install Outlook or ensure that any dialog boxes in Outlook are closed.

Only solution I have found is to remove the updates.

To avoid removing the update, you can simply copy the attachment from the event, paste it on your desktop and open it from there while you wait for Microsoft to issue a solution.

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Can this be worked around by creating a group policy to not block certain ..doc etc files?

There is a policy option to stop blocking level1 and level2 blocked items.

Templates->Outlook 2010->Security->Security Form Settings->Attachment Security

Don't have a 2010 machine at hand right now to test.

I tried to Level1Remove and Level2Remove ..doc, and ..docx via the registry editor and it doesn't work.

I've been struggling with the issue for 3 days, trying different combinations. I'm starting to get a little desperate.

Friday, June 16, 2017 9:55 AM
  • best solution is uninstalling KB3203467 for outlook 2010.

level1 and level2 doesnt work im waiting for new update.

to uninstal 67 client is gone be headache one by one .

idont have WSUS 

Friday, June 16, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Calendar events for some reason use RTF format rather than Plain Text or HTML.  I had the same issue.  To my knowledge some workarounds include:

• Click forward or the mail/calendar item.  Then in the forwarded section change the text type.  You will then be able to open it.
    • Use OWA if available.  That is not affected by this update.
    • Ask the sender to forward or resend the message as a different text type
    • Remove (and block) the update.

We have had several normal attachments blocked and removed.  .PDF, .EML, .JPG, .PNG to name a few.  These file type are not part of the listed blocked content for security.  To add, these were internal email (created and delivered within the organization).

While annoying, I agree, uninstalling isn't the best.  I have told our users to use OWA to work with blocked attachments.  If bad, Exchange will still block.  If not is is available.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:49 PM
  • Hello.

I Just uninstall KB3203467 for OUTLOOK 2010 and this solve the problem.

Thank you

Sunday, June 18, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Still waiting for Microsoft to release a fix to the fix... as reverting to OWA everytime in LAN environment isn't the best of practices. Even worse are workarounds like uninstalling the update. Microsoft have probably rolled it out due to an exploit that may actually hit us in two months from now, like with WannaCry thing, therefore would not want to make uninstalling updates via WSUS (revert deployment) a regular practice.

Microsoft please fix it! IT guys are "dying in the field" trying to combat this manually, every hour counts. In some languages and cultures the dot at the end of a sentence or filename is much more common than one would have desired.

Thank you,

Regards

Alex

Monday, June 19, 2017 6:54 AM
  • This works for me - workaround for attachments but doesn't fix calendar issue

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security]
    "adminsecuritymode"=".pdf"
    "fileextensionsremovelevel1"=".pdf"
    "fileextensionsremovelevel2"=".pdf"

• Edited by BAB-67 Monday, June 19, 2017 12:17 PM
    Monday, June 19, 2017 12:16 PM
  • Is there anyway to get a ETA on a fix for this issue.  This is really impacting some users here, and we don't ever want to uninstall a security patch.
    Monday, June 19, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Still no update from Microsoft on this issue since Friday. Is there another article I should be following, or am I right in assuming they will update it like they said they would when they have a fix? Thanks everyone for sharing.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/You-receive-an-error-when-opening-attachments-in-Outlook-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Monday, June 19, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Is it possible to uninstall the patch with a script?

I allready try to uninstall it with this command

Wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:320346

but it does not work

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:48 AM
  • It is wusa /uninstall /KB:3203467. You are missing number 7. But you are right. Command wusa doesnt work. It reports an error.

Best solution is alredy handy uninstal this KB and stop download this KB. I hade to uninstall this KB two times.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:36 AM
  • It is wusa /uninstall /KB:3203467. You are missing number 7. But you are right. Command wusa doesnt work. It reports an error.

Best solution is alredy handy uninstal this KB and stop download this KB. I hade to uninstall this KB two times.

You are right :)

the Problem is that we have more then 300 PC with that Problem.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:39 AM

You are right :)

the Problem is that we have more then 300 PC with that Problem.

Try to use this command:

msiexec /I {90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE={70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

or this one works as well:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Oarpmany.exe" /removereleaseinpatch "{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" "{70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991}" "1031" "0" /qn

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:36 AM
  • Both command are not working. :(
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Both command are not working. :(

Check out your registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

there is a Key with a Displayname like "Security Update for Microsoft Office KB3191855".

Then use the Value of the Uninstallstring.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:35 PM
  • 100% OK:

msiexec.exe /package {90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} /uninstall {70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991} /qb
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:36 PM
  • This thread does not seem to mention it, but the kb3203467 does also breaks searching in Outlook.. anyone in here that also experiences this? There are multiple posts about this, for example:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/c7021467-0759-4bcf-a0f0-937a8b10a66d/outlook-2010-search-not-working?forum=outlook&prof=required

and

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2005797-outlook-2010-sp2-search-broken-after-june-13-2017-updates?page=1

Microsoft does not mention the search problem on it's support page: 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/You-receive-an-error-when-opening-attachments-in-Outlook-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

For my client the workaround for the searching problem and the attachment problem is the following (Windows 10 + Office 2010):

• Uninstall KB3203467
    • Reboot machine
    • Start Outlook
    • Open "Indexing Options" from control panel (or do: rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL srchadmin.dll from "Run" command.)
    • Disable Outlook indexing by selecting "Modify" and deselecting Outlook and apply the changes
    • Restart Outlook

If you re-enable the indexing again for Outlook, like some are saying, the issue returns. For now leave it disabled until MS comes with a proper fix. Searching works, although it can be somewhat slower.

Microsoft, please provide a fix asap for the attachment and searching problem!

• Edited by TechKr Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Just run into Outlook blocking a unique "..pdf" extension with Outlook blocked access to following potentially unsafe attachment.

yes double dots as the sender's file name ended with Inc. plus .pdf, it become ..pdf.

Have to uninstall the KB3203467, without reboot Outlook could present the ..pdf with a new security warning prompting to save the file to disk for further action.

Wondering should we keep the auto Windows update ON without any delay!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:45 PM
  • Hi I found solution how to access blocked attachments. Download OutlookAttachView from Nirsoft:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_attachment.html

here you can view all attachments, even those that are blocked.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Microsoft has updated the support article at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-known-issues-in-the-June-2017-security-updates-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

There are more workarounds, more products in the applies-to list and more hotfixes involved.
    They also indicate that a fix will be available on Tuesday June 27.

• Edited by perhof Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:34 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:30 PM
  • I have an open ticket with MS about this and they said that the fix scheduled for 6/27 may not be for all the issues, just the search issue. 
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:50 PM
  • That's what I was afraid of since it was only mentioned for that particular issue.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:11 PM
  • What I want to know is why we put up with this? It's unacceptable.

I'm a field support engineer. I do servers, desktops and everything in between but for the last few days I've been removing this patch and begging the higher ups to suspend KB3203467 from SCCM but nooooooo.

Stuff ya Microsoft, seriously.
    How did you get to this point in the game with cockups like this?

Also confirming that removing the patch is the only fix. All toher fixes in this thread have been attempted with limited results. Uninstalling this KB allows people to work!

Sunday, June 25, 2017 11:53 PM
  • Emails with an attached email with a colon in the subject line also seem to be blocked. Though it may require 2 colons for the blocking to occur.

Subject: RE: RIVERI004 FW: Followmont Notice RIVERI001 and RIVERI004 103621 & 103891

is blocked

Subject: RE: RIVERI004 FW: Followmont Notice RIVERI001 and RIVERI004 103621 and 103891

is blocked

Subject: RE RIVERI004 FW Followmont Notice RIVERI001 and RIVERI004 103621 and 103891

goes through and the user can open.

An update with this many problems is totally unacceptable. Microsoft needs to lift their game, or more and more people/company market share will bleed away to other solutions.

Monday, June 26, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Hi everybody,

MS has released a patch for the issue with the attached files in mails wich has the RTF Format.

The bad News is the patch is only available for x64 Outlook 2010 but the x32 Version is under development.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3015545/june-27-2017-update-for-outlook-2010-kb3015545

with best regards

Wolfgang

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Hi isn't this the patch for Outlook 2010 x32?

i think they forgot about adding it to the KB article... not that it would help...tsss.....

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55528

• Edited by BloodyT Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:05 AM mistyped
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:10 AM
  • OMG, you are right. So, to summarize the update situation:

KB3015545 fixes Outlook 2010, Downloads:
    x86 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55528 <removed from the Download Center due to issues>
    x64 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55530

KB3191849 fixes Outlook 2013, Downloads:
    x86 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55526
    x64 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55527

No fixes for Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2016 yet, will update this listing when available.

< please "Vote as helpful" if you think so, thank you >

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Hi all,

after install KB3015545 for 32 bit, Outlook is not responding. It is worst not better. Do you have the same after install this fix? 

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:34 PM
  • I've tried installing the x86 KB3015545 hotfix but after running update detection I get the error "The installation of this package failed."  I'm running Outlook 2010 32-bit with SP2 already installed, so I'm not sure why it's failing.  
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:15 PM
  • Hi all,

after install KB3015545 for 32 bit, Outlook is not responding. It is worst not better. Do you have the same after install this fix? 

Same here! We tested the patch on our testing-environment with the result: Outlook crashes.

Thumbs up MS! Great Job!

anyone out there with positive results after installing the "fix" for the "patch"?

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Same here. After installing KB3015545 for 32 bit Outlook crashes when sending a message containing any attachment. Antivirus reports SEHOP mitigation. KB3191898 was uninstalled before installing KB3015545.

Had to reinstall Office 2010. Uninstalling KB3015545 did not fix the problem.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Second thing is when I installed KB301554 in option installed updates this fix show twice and I must uninstall this two times.
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Same here,

When i install the fix for 32bit version of office 2010, Outlook crash

"outlookloc2010-kb3015545-fullfile-x86-glb.exe"

Try uninstall it didn't help and now i am in progress of reinstall the Office..

Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:48 AM
  • Finally Microsoft wrote it down in the KB-Article.

"Note A new update for 32-bit Outlook 2010 is under development and will be posted in this article when it becomes available. The original download package for the 32-bit version was removed from the Download Center after a problem was discovered that could cause Outlook to crash when you preview messages that have attachments. If you already downloaded and installed the 32-bit update, we recommend that you remove it until a new version is available."

Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:16 PM
  • We're having similar issues with many of our users.  Just wanted to follow for the solution.

Thanks,

Andy

Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Has anyone else had problems uninstalling KB3203467? I'm trying to automate it, either with a SCCM Task Sequence or GPO using WUSA but I keep getting errors. 

The WUSA uninstall logs give me error 0x24007, which appears to mean that the update isn't installed on the PC. Interestingly if you try to run the installer again it tells me that the update is infact installed. 

Thanks,

Dave

Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Here is a powershell script I wrote to remove it....

#Office 2010 Standard
    If (Get-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90140000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
    {
     If (get-item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90140000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}_Office14.STANDARD_{70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991}" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
     {
        Start-Process C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe -ArgumentList "/I {90140000-0012-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE={70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS" -Wait
     }
    }

#Office 2010 ProPlus
    If (Get-Item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
    {
     If (get-item "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}_Office14.STANDARD_{70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991}" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue)
     {
        Start-Process C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe -ArgumentList "/I {90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE={70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS" -Wait
     }
    }

Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:24 PM
  • Hi everybody,

MS has released a patch for the issue with the attached files in mails wich has the RTF Format.

The bad News is the patch is only available for x64 Outlook 2010 but the x32 Version is under development.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3015545/june-27-2017-update-for-outlook-2010-kb3015545

with best regards

Wolfgang

It states for the Outlook 32 bit :-

Note A new update for 32-bit Outlook 2010 is under development and will be posted in this article when it becomes available. The original download package for the 32-bit version was removed from the Download Center after a problem was discovered that could cause Outlook to crash when you preview messages that have attachments. If you already downloaded and installed the 32-bit update, we recommend that you remove it until a new version is available.

Friday, June 30, 2017 9:41 AM
  • I have installed KB3203467 update and now when I attach a word document to a calendar invite no one can open it. Is there a work around so a word doc can be attached to a calendar invite and my users can open it without me uninstalling this update?

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-msoffice_custom/kb3203467/6ddd3f4c-8681-4d9d-8dd7-d084d9b9c7a3?rtAction=1498833378579

We too started seeing this as well about a day ago.   This is affecting our entire agency.  We are not willing to do any workarounds that disable or bypass security as this would increase risk to our organization

Inside Outlook calendar 2010 32bit opened on a PC we get this error message when trying to open attachments included in meeting and appointment items.

"The program used to create this object is Outlook.  That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding.  To edit this object, install Outlook or ensure any dialog boxes in Outlook are closed"

The attachment type is PDF.  Outlook 2010 and a PDF reader are installed.

We checked the default programs and they are correct

PDF attachments inside Emails open fine.  This seems to be isolated to attachments inside calendar items only

This also fails on a clean Office 2010 install.

This function was working last week

Installed office/outlook updates:

KB4022168

KB3203461

KB3191908

KB3203467

KB3191844

KB4022719

KB4022722

KB3118389

KB3203460

KB3203461

KB3191908

KB3203467

KB3191844

Friday, June 30, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Does anyone know if there is an update for Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 yet? I've seen this update if you are an Office 365 customer. Not sure if we have to wait until the 11th of July as well.

If you’re an Office 365 customer on Current channel, install the latest updates that are available today to resolve the issues. Go to File > Office Account Update Options > Update Now. The fix for other channels are scheduled for July 11th. We will update this page when the fix is released.

Monday, July 03, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Hay Folks 

Do anyone know when Microsoft are going to release the Fix for Outlook 2010 32bit

We have more then 20 Clients with Indexing and Attachments issues 

• Edited by nrothwell Tuesday, July 04, 2017 11:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 04, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Guess what new release 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011042/july-5-2017-update-for-outlook-2010-kb4011042 

Download Center

This update is available only for manual download and installation from the Microsoft Download Center.

If you're not sure which platform (32-bit or 64-bit) you're running, see Am I running 32-bit or 64-bit Office? Additionally, see more information about how to download Microsoft support files.

Thursday, July 06, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Update

We have installed fixes KB4022168 (outlook search issues) and KB4011042 (attachment issues). 

We Did Not uninstall KB3203467

Issues may be resolved (pending further testing)

NOTE: 1 of 2 test pc's hung at splash screen after installing 4011042 and rebooting

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011042/july-5-2017-update-for-outlook-2010-kb4011042

Thursday, July 06, 2017 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

New fix Microsoft Release for Outlook 2010 KB4011042 for both 32bit and 64bit

Related link below

• Edited by KosmasP Monday, July 10, 2017 12:52 PM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 12:48 PM
  • Please take care with this patch there is a known bug:

If you have a recurring calendar item (meeting or appointment) that contains attachments in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2010 may crash when you open an occurrence of the recurring item. If you use recurring calendar items that have attachments, and you have to access individual occurrences, you should uninstall this update and use the workarounds that are listed in the Outlook known issues in the June 2017 security updates until a new fix is available. If you do not have to access individual occurrences, you can successfully open the recurring series without crashing. This is a workaround until a fix for this issue is available

Monday, July 10, 2017 2:45 PM
  • The Outlook issue seems to be fine, but now users cannot print to older HP printers.  Not sure what MS is doing with these patches.

Edit: Looks like all our HP printers are no longer working

• Edited by azacura22 Monday, July 10, 2017 5:04 PM
    Monday, July 10, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Looks like our printer issue was triggered by the installation on our image.  Not a direct cause of the patch, seems the system was corrupted somehow during the installation.
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:33 PM
  • Hi

Does anyone know if there is a replacement patch for KB3203467 in July 2017 patch release?

Noticed this morning that the old patch KB3203467 is still showing up in SCCM as not being superseded. The hotfix KB4011042 unfortunately is not available from SCCM for deployment.

Thanks, DM.

• Edited by D_M_K Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:41 AM typo
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:00 AM
  • Hi,

Found a quick work around to open the attachments, but still tedious.

Drag and drop the item from the calendar entry or email onto the desktop and then open it.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:48 AM
  • Hi

Does anyone know if there is a replacement patch for KB3203467 in July 2017 patch release?

Noticed this morning that the old patch KB3203467 is still showing up in SCCM as not being superseded. The hotfix KB4011042 unfortunately is not available from SCCM for deployment.

Thanks, DM.

Got the same here. I deleted the membership of this KB to my update group and deleted it from the download package. We have a bucket full of users complaining about this...
    I'm gonna make a package, not an application, to uninstall this everywhere with just 1 command-line. Don't need to make an application while I will not distribute this program.
    • Edited by Michael140 Friday, July 14, 2017 11:19 AM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 11:17 AM
  • We have installed fixes KB4022168 (outlook search issues) and KB4011042 (attachment issues). 

NOTE: 1 of 2 test pc's hung at splash screen after installing 4011042 and rebooting

Friday, July 14, 2017 7:51 PM
  • We have installed fixes KB4022168 (outlook search issues) and KB4011042 (attachment issues).

Friday, July 14, 2017 7:58 PM
  • Hi

Thanks, DM.

Got the same here. I deleted the membership of this KB to my update group and deleted it from the download package. We have a bucket full of users complaining about this...
    I'm gonna make a package, not an application, to uninstall this everywhere with just 1 command-line. Don't need to make an application while I will not distribute this program.

My Organisation is experiencing the same. 

We are able to use the command line:

msiexec /I {90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE={70DAB69D-244C-403A-9C0F-CB7748CD2991} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

to uninstall, however this force-quits outlook on our machines, which is not desirable. The powershell above also works, however in my experience if Outlook was open, the powershell would not successfully run. 

Apart from MS not expriring or superseding this bad patch, the most difficult part about automating for a large fleet of machines is that
    get-Hotfix -ID kb3203467 
    doesn't work, nor does
    wusa /uninstall /kb:3203467 

I noted that KB3203468 was pushed by MS in July, however not sure whether this patch is completely independent to KB3203467. I've found that with 3203467 AND 3203468 installed, problem exists. With 3203468 installed but NOT 3203467, problem does not exist. 

• Edited by Macca78910 Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:29 AM KB3203468 info added.
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:11 AM
  • Well, until your organization can push out the latest fix, a good work around is to "Drag and Drop" the attachment to your desktop. 
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:28 PM
  • Looks like KB4011042 has been pulled. No longer available for download.

Come on MS!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:03 AM
  •  KB4025341 is last available for Outlook (Windows Search / Indexing) issues

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4025341

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:31 AM
  • And even after July 2017 Update Tuesday the defective Outlook Updates from June are not superseded by new ones. So the following Updates should be still avoided to not run intro trouble with attachments in RTF-formated mails:

• Security Update for Outlook 2007 (KB3191898)
    • Security Update for Outlook 2010 (KB3203467)
    • Security Update for Outlook 2013 (KB3191938)
    • Security Update for Outlook 2016 (KB3191932)
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:31 PM
  • That's a vague answer. And did he mean Trust Center --> Trust Center Settings because "security center" is nowhere to be found. Is the option to read messages in text only format under "read as plain text" in the Trust Center settings? 
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Filenames 71 characters or less are fine in my Outlook 2007.  But as soon as the filename has 72 or more characters, the display of the name gets truncated so it appears with "..." before the extension, causing the erroneous "unsafe file" problem.  I wonder if you counted wrong, or if it's different in different versions of Outlook or in different operating systems or something.
    Monday, July 24, 2017 7:59 PM
  • see latest solutions published today @ Outlook known issues in the June 2017 security updates
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:26 PM
  • If aynone's still struggling with this, We've successfully tested KB2956078 which has resolved this issue for us. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2956078/description-of-the-security-update-for-outlook-2010-july-27-2017
    • Edited by Macca78910 Friday, August 11, 2017 12:20 AM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 12:20 AM