none
Data Protection Manager 2012 R2 agent: SetDpmServer returns error 0x80004005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 server running business-critical applications. This is an ancient server, and I don't know who and how installed and configured its OS. I need to protect it using DPM 2012 R2.

I was unable to automatically deploy DPM agent to this server due to error, so I installed the agent manually. However, when I try to manually associate the agent with a DPM server, it returns the following error:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin>SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername SERVER

Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[SERVER]
    Configuring dpm server settings and firewall settings for dpm server =[DOMAIN\SERVER]
    SetDpmServer failed with errorcode =0x80004005, error says: To further troubleshoot failures with SetDpmServer, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169142

The link is invalid. I've found a Techne article mentioning this error code, which tells only to check access to the DPM server from the server with the agent. The agent does have access, but the error persists even if I turn off the firewall completely. I even reset the local firewall rules to default settings, but it has had no visual effect (except I had to restore several rules manually).

I suspect that something is wrong with OS settings or services. Any ideas what can be investigated next?

Evgeniy Lotosh<br/> MCSE: Server infractructire, MCSE: Messaging

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you add the following predefined default firewall rules, the setdpmserver.exe should run:

Windows Management Instrumentation
    Remote Service Management
    File and Printer Sharing

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Ed,

Do you mean I should enable those INCOMING firewall rules? AFAIK they are already enabled. However, they are not single rules, but rather bunches of rules applied to different traffic types, so I could have missed something. Could you be a little more specific please?

Evgeniy Lotosh
    MCSE: Server infractructire, MCSE: Messaging

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:08 AM