Storage Spaces RRS feed

• Question

• I have a storage pool that is Simple (no resiliency) how do I add another drive and change the setting to Parity so I have data protection, do I have to destroy that simple pool and recreate ?

Thank you.

Chris Sayers

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:10 PM

Answers

• Your "storage pool" is a set of disks you set aside to reserve disks for you to create "virtual disks" inside. 

So you need to build a new "virtual disk". There are three options for you your virtual disk. Simple, Mirror, or Parity.

You can not change your Virtual Disk type from Simple to Parity.

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

yes you'll need to recreate it.

"What properties can I change after creating a storage space?

Upon creating a storage space, certain fundamental properties are locked in place. These fundamental properties include the provisioning type (thin or fixed), the resiliency type (simple, mirror, or parity), the number of columns the storage space striping requires, and the striping interleave.

After creating a storage space, you can change properties that do not affect fundamental characteristics, such as the size of the storage space and its name." - TechNet

Regards

Daniel

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Your "storage pool" is a set of disks you set aside to reserve disks for you to create "virtual disks" inside. 

So you need to build a new "virtual disk". There are three options for you your virtual disk. Simple, Mirror, or Parity.

You can not change your Virtual Disk type from Simple to Parity.

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 18, 2016 7:40 AM