none
Problem w/Issues-Risks Link in Reminders Web Part RRS feed

• Question

• We are using EPM2007 and have started having a problem with the Reminders web part, just the Issues and Risks link in this web part. I've read through some threads here which indicate if the Status field is deleted of choices modified in the Issues/Risks webpart(s) in the project workspace, that could cause the problem. However, I have checked the Project Workspaces and find the Status cloumns there and standard choices in those columns. Can anyone please point me to anything else I can chack that would cause this problem? Again, it's onyl the Issues and Risks links, all other links in the Reminders web part are working fine. Thanks in advance for any help with this. 

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suspect your EPM2007 server has lots of site collections in the PWA web application or MySites.

Workaround: Edit the reminders web part, remove Issues and Risks and add it back to the web site.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Thanks. Let me give that a try.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Removed the Issues and risks from the Reminders webpart and clicked ok. Then came back and added them back in. The problem is still there. Here is the error message:

"Your request has failed for an undetectable reason; you may need to contact your system or database adminstrator. "

Doesn't give you much to work with. Any other suggestions?

Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hi Rick,

Is there anything in the server ULS logs?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Sorry for the delay getting back. Army of one being pulled in many directions. Clicked on Issues in Reminders part to generate the error, then went to ULS logs. I'm not a db person by trade, so this is mostly jibberish to me, but heres what looked like was in the log about the time of the error (removed URL and user info for security reasons):

Project Server - General       0 Medium   PWA:http://xxxxxxxxxxx/PWA, SSP:PS_SSP, User:xxxx\xxxxxxi, PSI: PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter  Undefined Attributes: PSError: GeneralUnhandledException  Undefined attributes list: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at System.Data.Index.CompareRecords(Int32 record1, Int32 record2)     at System.Data.Index.IndexTree.CompareNode(Int32 record1, Int32 record2)     at System.Data.RBTree`1.SearchSubTree(Int32 root_id, K key)     at System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByKey(K key)     at System.Data.Index.ApplyChangeAction(Int32 record, Int32 action)     at System.Data.DataTable.RecordStateChanged(Int32 record1, DataViewRowState oldState1, DataViewRowState newState1, Int32 record2, DataViewRowState oldState2, DataViewRowState newState2) ... 3f74e8d5-eb89-4d2f-ae34-05251264a7c5
    03/23/2011 09:05:04.84* w3wp.exe (0x18B8)                        0x15E0 Project Server                 Project Server - General       0 Medium   ...    at System.Data.DataTable.SetNewRecordWorker(DataRow row, Int32 proposedRecord, DataRowAction action, Boolean isInMerge, Int32 position, Boolean fireEvent, Exception& deferredException)     at System.Data.DataTable.SetNewRecord(DataRow row, Int32 proposedRecord, DataRowAction action, Boolean isInMerge, Boolean fireEvent)     at System.Data.DataRow.Delete()     at System.Data.DataRowCollection.Remove(DataRow row)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.GetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType) 3f74e8d5-eb89-4d2f-ae34-05251264a7c5
    03/23/2011 09:05:04.78  w3wp.exe (0x18B8)                        0x15E0 ULS Logging                    Unified Logging Service        8pb4 High     Done collecting trace log 3f74e8d5-eb89-4d2f-ae34-05251264a7c5
    03/23/2011 09:05:04.81  w3wp.exe (0x18B8)                        0x15E0 ULS Logging                    Unified Logging Service        8pb7 High     About to launch Watson client 3f74e8d5-eb89-4d2f-ae34-05251264a7c5
    03/23/2011 09:05:04.81  w3wp.exe (0x18B8)                        0x15E0 ULS Logging                    Unified Logging Service        8pb8 High     Watson collection complete. 3f74e8d5-eb89-4d2f-ae34-05251264a7c5
    03/23/2011 09:05:04.98  w3wp.exe (0x1610)                        0x176C Project Server                 Project Server - General       8mqg Exception  System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: ProjectServerError(s) LastError=GeneralUnhandledException Instructions: Pass this into PSClientError constructor to access all error information    at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType)     at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)     at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.PSIProxyBase.InvokePSI(String serviceName, String methodName, Object[] parameters) 
    03/23/2011 09:05:10.00  w3wp.exe (0x18B8)                        0x19DC Windows SharePoint Services    General                        8m90 Medium   37 heaps created, above warning threshold of 32. Check for excessive SPWeb or SPSite usage.   

Als see a Office SharePoint Server error 5000 in the application event viewer about the same time:

EventType ulsexception12, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.3959, P3 45d6968e, P4 system.data, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 461ef1ad, P7 3172, P8 15, P9 nullreferenceexception, P10 0000.

Any ideas on what this all means greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

Are you 100% sure that no changes have been made to the risk or issues lists? The error looks to be in reading the information from those lists. Do they workspaces provision ok for new projects based on that template or is there errors thrown into the queue for reporting sync job? 

Is it possible to provision a default project workspace template site and compare with your current template?

So many question ;)

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Finally got back to work this again (army of one for the company) and am still pulling out my hair trying to figure out what is causing this. Further research finds the following:

·        “Undetectable Error” problem is not limited to the Reminders web part. This also happens when clicking on the Issues and Risks link in the Quick Launch bar.

·        The problem seems to be limited to my account. Tried the links on same machine using a different logon and they work fine.

·        Checked for “orphan” sites in Project Workspaces as mentioned in another post with similar problem and see no sites in Server Settings/Project Workspaces without an associated project. Is there another way to check for orphans?

·        Checked for default fields missing in the Issues List as another post mentioned missing default fields could cause this problem.  All workspace Issue Lists contained Title, Owner, Assigned To, Status, Category, Priority, Due Date, Discussion, Resolution, Links, Created By, and Modified By. Also checked the Status for default dropdown and all contain (1) Active, (2) Postponed, (3) Closed selections.

·        Checked for default fields missing in the Risks List as another post mentioned missing default fields could cause this problem.  All workspace Issue Lists contained Title, Owner, Assigned To, Status, Category, Due Date, Probability, Impact, Exposure, Cost, Description, Mitigation Plan, Contingency Plan, Trigger Description, Trigger, Links, Created By, and Modified By. Also checked the Status for default dropdown and all contain (1) Active, (2) Postponed, (3) Closed selections.

·        Ran a Data Analysis query to check where my issues and risks were. No Risks and 6 Active Issues across two projects. Closed out all active issues. Links still do not work.

·        Deleted last workspace created and recreated new workspace. Added a test risk and a test issue. The Reminders web part accurately picked up and displayed one each risk and issue. However, links still do not work and get “Undetectable Error.”

·        Deleted all unused workspaces.

·        Synchronized all active workspaces.

Still got the problem. What did I miss?

Rick Frisby
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

If it's limited to your account, it may well be data related. What issues or risks are assigned to you? Can you go into the workspaces and have a look, or perhaps use a query. I would guess there may be one with strange data?

Alex Burton
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Yes, it's limited to my account and was thinking the same, but can't nail it down to anything in issues and risks. Per your advice, did the following:

• Went back and checked every site for any issues and risks.
    • Closed all active risks and issues assigned to me, still have the problem.
    • Deleted all active risks assigned to me, atill have the problem.
    • Ran data analysis query to see what other risks and issues were out there.
    • Found list of 25 issues in a project from two years ago. According to the query, 6 were active and 19 were closed.
    • Went to that workspace and on the workspace it was showing all 25 issues closed as of two years ago.
    • Systmatically exported each to Excel (to save the data), then deleted one at a time, checking to seew if I could access issueriskcenter after each deletion, but still can't access.
    • Then did the same with each of the closed issues, but still cannot access issueriskcenter.
    • Next, deleted the entire workspace that held the old issues, but still cannot access issueriskcenter.
    • Now have no issues or risks assigned to me in any project and Reminders correctly shows no issues or risks assigned, but still get the undetectable error when clicking on Issues and Risks under My work or in Reminders.
    • Made another run through Sites to see if any orphan sites, but see none not associated with a project.
    • Made another run through each site, checking for issues and risks and re-confirmed no issues or risks assigned to me on any project workspace. 

Did find one anomoly where there is a project workspace (not owned by me) that throws a 404 error when you click on it.

• The workspace shows on the home page in Project Workspaces, but when I check under Sites, All Site Content, it does not show there.
    • It's not one that would normally have a risk or issue assigned me, but can't check for sure due to the 404 error when you ckick on the link .
    • Went to Server Settings > Project Workspaces and the erroring project workspace shows there as assigned to it's project.
    • Tried to delete this workspace in Server Settings > Project Workspaces by highlighting the row and clicking on Delete Site.
    • The tool goes through the motions, but the site remains there and remains in Project Workspaces on the home page. Can't seem to delete it. Is there another way to delete a project workspace without going to site actions for the site (can;t get to because of the 404 error or Project Workspaces under server settings? 

Rick Frisby
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Rick:

I'm closing this thread because you started a more recent one on the issue.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:48 PM
  •  ·           Checked for default fields missing in the Issues List as another post mentioned missing default fields could cause this problem.  All workspace Issue Lists contained Title, Owner, Assigned To, Status, Category, Priority, Due Date, Discussion, Resolution, Links, Created By, and Modified By. Also checked the Status for default dropdown and all contain (1) Active, (2) Postponed, (3) Closed selections.

·        Checked for default fields missing in the Risks List as another post mentioned missing default fields could cause this problem.  All workspace Issue Lists contained Title, Owner, Assigned To, Status, Category, Due Date, Probability, Impact, Exposure, Cost, Description, Mitigation Plan, Contingency Plan, Trigger Description, Trigger, Links, Created By, and Modified By. Also checked the Status for default dropdown and all contain (1) Active, (2) Postponed, (3) Closed selections.

Tks, this give me a help.

Belown is my errors:

Project Server                 Project Server - General       0 Exception Exception occurred in method PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter System.NullReferenceException: 未将对象引用设置到对象的实例。     System.Data.Index.CompareRecords(Int32 record1, Int32 record2)     System.Data.Index.IndexTree.CompareNode(Int32 record1, Int32 record2)     System.Data.RBTree`1.SearchSubTree(Int32 root_id, K key)     System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByKey(K key)     System.Data.Index.ApplyChangeAction(Int32 record, Int32 action)     System.Data.DataTable.RecordStateChanged(Int32 record1, DataViewRowState oldState1, DataViewRowState newState1, Int32 record2, DataViewRowState oldState2, DataViewRowState newState2)     System.Data.DataTable.SetNewRecordWorker(DataRow row, Int32 proposedRecord, DataRowAction action, Boolean isInMerge, Int32 position, Boolean fireEvent, Exceptio... 7df48253-33ed-4b7d-9503-cf5a160838da
    06/20/2011 17:01:45.53* w3wp.exe (0x1948)                        0x1304 Project Server                 Project Server - General       0 Exception ...n& deferredException)    
    System.Data.DataTable.SetNewRecord(DataRow row, Int32 proposedRecord, DataRowAction action, Boolean isInMerge, Boolean fireEvent)     System.Data.DataRow.Delete()     System.Data.DataRowCollection.Remove(DataRow row)     Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.GetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType)     Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType) 7df48253-33ed-4b7d-9503-cf5a160838da
    06/20/2011 17:01:45.53  w3wp.exe (0x1948)                        0x1304 ULS Logging                    Unified Logging Service        8pbf Medium   Not reporting 0000 to Watson because the appropriate timespan hasn't passed 7df48253-33ed-4b7d-9503-cf5a160838da
    06/20/2011 17:01:45.54  w3wp.exe (0x1948)                        0x1304 Project Server                 Project Server - General       0 Medium   PWA:http://pmis/PWA, SSP:SharedServices1, User:CTECDCS\liwei5805, PSI: PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter  Undefined Attributes: PSError: GeneralUnhandledException  Undefined attributes list: System.NullReferenceException:
    未将对象引用设置到对象的实例。     System.Data.Index.CompareRecords(Int32 record1, Int32 record2)     System.Data.Index.IndexTree.CompareNode(Int32 record1, Int32 record2)     System.Data.RBTree`1.SearchSubTree(Int32 root_id, K key)     System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByKey(K key)     System.Data.Index.ApplyChangeAction(Int32 record, Int32 action)     System.Data.DataTable.RecordStateChanged(Int32 record1, DataViewRowState oldState1, DataViewRowState newState1, Int32 record2, DataViewRowState oldState2, DataViewRowState newState2)     System.Data.DataTable.SetNewReco... 7df48253-33ed-4b7d-9503-cf5a160838da
    06/20/2011 17:01:45.54* w3wp.exe (0x1948)                        0x1304 Project Server                 Project Server - General       0 Medium   ...rdWorker(DataRow row, Int32 proposedRecord, DataRowAction action, Boolean isInMerge, Int32 position, Boolean fireEvent, Exception& deferredException)    
    System.Data.DataTable.SetNewRecord(DataRow row, Int32 proposedRecord, DataRowAction action, Boolean isInMerge, Boolean fireEvent)     System.Data.DataRow.Delete()     System.Data.DataRowCollection.Remove(DataRow row)     Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.GetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType)     Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebService.PWA.ProjectGetProjectDataForIssueRiskCenter(DataTable dtGrid, PWSListTemplateType templateType) 7df48253-33ed-4b7d-9503-cf5a160838da
    06/20/2011 17:01:46.17

Monday, June 20, 2011 1:09 PM