none
Websites (OWA and some intranet sites) are not accessible by domain computers outside LAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have been facing an issue of website inaccessibility (sites are hosted on IIS7.0 in our network including OWA) on domain computers when they are connected outside of the local network. Sites are accessible using other browsers, and the issue arise only when I use IE (tried 9 & 11). These sites are in IE intranet zone with automatic logon with username and password policy, but other websites in intranet zone are seamlessly accessible inside and outside network. Network level communication between client (outside network) and the web-servers is good.

Can anyone help me out? What am I missing here?

Monday, April 28, 2014 11:22 AM

All replies

• Sites are accessible using other browsers, and the issue arise only when I use IE (tried 9 & 11).

What am I missing here?

DNS performance?  E.g. it seems that "other browsers" are somehow more tolerant about slow lookups than IE.  A workaround which proves that this is the case is using  ping -n 1  to cache the lookup before having IE try its request.  Unfortunately, sometimes this is complicated by too short Time To Live values, alias name chaining, and redirection.  Still, it would be a diagnostic that would give you more insight on your symptom.

Another workaround which sometimes works, less likely with a caching server, is to using the IP address to make the request.  IE would use that as long as it could.  Then you could use the Developer Tools, Network Capture tool to see what was not working.  You could use that diagnostic to capture information for a conventional first request too; just make sure that you are not using the Clear entries on navigation option (which once was an unfortunate default).  However, the information about that initial request is usually inconclusive; so, to get a complete picture of what is going on you will probably need a full TCP packet trace, such as provided by NetMon or WireShark.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 28, 2014 5:16 PM
    Answerer
  • I removed it from Automatic login with current username and password for intranet zone sites and sites can be accessible. It seems like the problem is with Internet settings on few computers and other are working fine.

Is it because of any Microsoft security update?

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:46 AM