none
ADDING 8 HRS TO RESOURCE WHEREVER ITS REPEATED FOR DIFFERENT TASKS RRS feed

• Question

• Can you please help me for the below?

I HAVE A RESOURCE ASSIGNED TO TASK 'X' WHICH WILL BE COMPLETED ON 10-12-18 7am AND THE SAME RESOURCE IS ASSIGNED TO TASK Y WHICH STARTS ACTUALLY ON 10-12-18 7am. BUT I NEED TO ADD 8 HRS BEFORE Y STARTS MEANING TO SAY TO START AT 10-12-18 3pm.  

LIKE WISE I NEED TO ADD 8 HRS FOR EVERY TASK WHERE THE SAME RESOURCE IS USED. IS IT POSSIBLE?

• Edited by VSNPrasadK Friday, December 7, 2018 10:11 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2018 10:10 PM

All replies

• VSNPrasadK,

First of all you need to understand that typing your question in all capital letters is like SHOUTING!. Not very friendly when asking for help.

Your scenario leaves out a lot a important information. What is the calendar? I assume you are using a 24 hour calendar but that's just an educated guess.

You say you want to "add" 8 hrs to the resource but then you say that means moving the resource's start up by 8 hours. That won't "add" 8hrs, it will simply shift the resource start time.

If you want to simply shift the start time of that resource for all subsequent tasks, (I assume you don't want to shift his/her start on task "x"), you can do that several ways. One way is to display the Resource Usage view with the Start field displayed. Manually edit the start time of each assignment for that resource by moving it up 8 hours.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, December 7, 2018 10:33 PM
  • Do yourself a favour and be a bit more careful and precise with the vocabulary. It may seem trivial but it can be important. When you say a task "starts actually on 10-12-18 7am" the word "actually" is confusing because it refers to a scheduled start date which is in the future. I try to use "actual" to only refer to something which has actually happened, ie has actually happened in the past. Anything else is planned or scheduled to happen in the future.

When you say that you want to "add 8 hrs", I think you mean that the tasks are scheduled to start at the same date/time and the resource is therefore over-allocated, and may also be over-allocated on other tasks as well, and you want the task to be delayed.

With MSP, you can use leveling to delay tasks so that the resource over-allocation is resolved (disappears). Then you can insert the leveling delay column into the entry table to see which tasks were delayed.

Go to the resource tab, the leveling options on the right hand end of the ribbon. Check it out.

Any help?

Saturday, December 8, 2018 7:48 AM
  • Sir,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for writing in CAPS.

I am working in a manufacturing company and looking after 120 CNC Machines.

My job is to allocate all the machines with different components. Below is the table showing 4 machines, V78, V46,V60 and V44 which were assigned to 4 tasks (Descr.). Once these 4 machines are done with their work on 4 jobs, they will be moved to next level tasks and go on.

Here, usually once the component is done and the resource (V78) is allocated for 2nd job (Priority 790), it needs some setting time/proving time to go for production. The average setting time is 8Hrs and i would like to add these 8 Hrs for all the upcoming tasks (jobs).

Plz help me in this regards sir. I am struggling a lot to do it for 120 Machines manually by adding predecessors.  

Priority

DESCR.

M/C Start

M/C End

M/C #

P.O Qty. (#5)

M/C. QTY. (#1)

C.T. (Dur1)

Duration

STG-4

02-01-19

06-01-19

V78-962

55 mins

82.5 hrs?

STG-5

04-01-19

09-01-19

V46-995

55 mins

82.5 hrs?

STG-6

04-01-19

09-01-19

V60-958

50 mins

75 hrs?

STG-7

05-01-19

09-01-19

V44-997

45 mins

67.5 hrs?

STG-0

06-01-19

12-01-19

V78-962

100 mins

110 hrs?

STG-1

09-01-19

16-01-19

V46-995

100 mins

106.67 hrs?

STG-2

09-01-19

13-01-19

V60-958

81 mins

97.2 hrs?

STG-3

09-01-19

16-01-19

V44-997

81 mins

89.1 hrs?

Monday, December 24, 2018 9:07 PM
  • VSNPrasadK,

Unfortunately there is still a lot of information missing or unexplained. For example, I see a column called "Priority" but it looks more like Project's ID field than it does Project's Priority field. How does that field impact what you are trying to do?

I see a column for Duration so I assume that is Project's Duration field. However, the M/C Start and M/C Finish, which I assume are Project's Start and Finish fields do not result in the hours value in the Duration column using either the Standard calendar or even the 24 hr calendar. So I ask again, what calendar is your plan using?

You also show a P.O. Qty (#5) column and a M/C Qty (#1) column which I assume are the customized Number 5 and Number 1 fields respectively. What exactly do they represent?

Then there is the C.T. (Dur1) field. What does that represent?

Does the M.C. column represent the resource (e.g. machine) you have assigned to perform task (e.g. STG-0)? If so, is the M.C. column Project's Resource Names field? If not, what is it?

In summary, we need a much better explanation of the fields you are using and how they all interact. Without that understanding we'd just be guessing at what you are trying to do but that is not the best use of our time, at least not my time.

If I take a stab are your scenario, you have a machine (V78-XXX) producing some component (STG-0) over some period of time which is not clear, then it is idle for 8 hours for a setup and prove-in time before it is used to produce the next component and you want to be able to automatically include that 8 hour setup/prove-in in your plan. Is that correct?

Remember, I'm sure it is very clear to you what you want to do, but we are totally unfamiliar with your process and what you want to do so you need to spell it all out in detail so we can understand and have any chance of helping you.

John

Monday, December 24, 2018 9:50 PM
  • Dear Sir,

First of all, i would like to thank you for giving me the elaborated reply.

First of all, i will let you know what i am trying to do. 

I have few projects like

Project1:   25 Components of having 100-150 numbers (to be manufactured from Bar stock material)

Project2:  15 Components of having 80-120nos

Project3:  50 components of having 200 nos around.

i get the priorities based on the delivery due dates of each project and i enter them in MS project with Priority set from 1000-1 as shown above.

Your second paragraph is correct. M/c start means Machining start date and M/C Finish means Machining end date.  I am using a 22 Hrs calendar with 2 X 11 Hrs shift (day and night). We run the work shop 24 hrs with 1 Hr lunch break in each shift. Start day of the week is Tuesday and and weekly off is from Sunday 7PM to Tuesday Morning 7AM (1.5 Days). 

P.O Qty means Purchase order Qty which are to be supplied to the customer and M/C Qty means Planned Qty which will be taken into Production with extra 8 Numbers. If 100 Nos is my qty to be billed, 100+8 will be my feeding qty to production.

Each component is of different cycle times C.T (Duration1). For example, If my C.T is 60 mins, and qty is 108 nos, i am calculating the duration as 60Mins X 108 Numbers = 108 Hrs to make this component on Machine V78-XXXX. Project's resource name field is Machine number only. Here I got some macro in google for calculating the duration from Qty and Cycle times like below.

Public Sub HelloWorld()
    Dim t As Task
    'Dim MPU As Single
    'MPU = ActiveProject.HoursPerDay
    ' t.Duraton is task duration internal units = minutes
    ' t.Number1 = Qty
    ' t.Number2 = Min ea, duration in minutes per item
    ' Dim MPU As Single ' define MinutesPerUnit as needed
    ' MPU = ActiveProject.HoursPerDay * 60 ' calculate Min per working day
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
    If Not t Is Nothing Then
    If t.Number1 <> 0 Then
    If t.Summary = False Then
    t.Duration = (t.Number1 * t.Duration1) ' * MPU
    End If
    End If
    End If
    t.ActualWork = (t.Duration1 * t.Number2)
    Next t
    End Sub

Finally, After i entering all the Projects and the list of components in MS Project with priority, I enter the Duration 1 Field (Cycle times) of each, Planned Qty and i run the above macro to generate the Values for Duration.

Then i will get the total projects lead time and i am doing this exercise for Daily planning.

Here My query is when the machine V78 is done with the first component and moving to second component, we need some 8 Hrs or 12 Hrs Set up time (Based on the Component criiticality)/ Proven-time to check for all the dimensions of the sizes with CNC Programs. Then it goes for Production to complete the Planned Qty (100+8) Nos.

I have around 500 Rows of items in the Production and 61 Machines allocated for them. Out of these 61 Machines, we need to dedicate a set of machines for each project like below.

Project 1: Machine 1 to 8 = 8 machines

Project 2: Machine 9 to 25 = 17 Machines

Project 3: Machine 26 to 35 = 10 Machines and so on.

these machines will be repeated 5 to 6 times in a month for executing the operations on different components. 

I request you to let me know, how to add 8 Hrs set up time for a machine when its repeated for 2nd time and one 8 hrs for 3rd time and one more 8 Hrs for 4th time.

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Thursday, December 27, 2018 7:12 PM
  • VSNPrasadK,

Wow, that's quite an explanation of your process so thanks for that. However it still leaves some questions but let's see if I can keep it simple.

It sounds like your "planned quantity" is to account for losses during the machining process (e.g. scrap). And in fact you calculate the cycle time for a complete run of a given component (e.g. in your example, 108 hrs). After that you want somewhere between 8 and 12 hours to set up for the next component run. There are a couple ways to handle that.

First, you could create a separate task line for each setup. For example, you machine part STG-0 on machine V78-962 and that takes 110 hours and let's say it is task ID 1 on your Project plan. For the next component create a separate setup task of 8 to 12 hours with the previous machine run (ID 1) as the predecessor. That setup task than becomes the predecessor to the next component run, which is followed by another separate setup task, and so forth.

A second much less tedious approach is to add the setup time to the overall run time. For example, add 8 to 12 hours on top of the 110 hour run time. The setup time could be entered into another custom field (e.g. Number 3) in minutes. That would make it real easy to incorporate that setup time into the macro formula for calculating duration.

Hopefully that answers your basic question.

John

Friday, December 28, 2018 2:00 AM
  • Sir,

Thanks for the help.

I applied the second option into macro with Duration3 and gone like below.

t.Duration = ((t.Number1 * t.Duration1) + t. Duration3)' * MPU

but during results, i observed an issue here.

Let us say Machine V78 end at 1 PM (Including 8 Hrs set up time) and moved to next task.

Then it should have only 8 Hrs extra time only for second task. But i am getting 16 Hrs.

Then, it is again going into multiples for third task with 24 Hrs which is not correct. My total lead time is getting extended by these hours into days and then to weeks. 

For every task this machine is repeated, We should have only 8Hrs.

Hope you understood the issue.

Friday, December 28, 2018 9:50 AM
  • VSNPrasadK,

Sorry, I've been "off-line" for over a week. I'll try to take a look at this in the next day or two.

One thing that I neglected to note in my last response is that the duration calculation is not really a duration from Project's standpoint but rather a process cycle time. Duration must take into account labor work time and the weekend period (I assume the machines must be monitored).

John

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:24 AM
  • Yes Sir,

You are correct.

But with setting time added apart from actual run time for each machine.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:00 PM
  • VSNPrasadK,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm still not fully back on-line.

In order for me to understand your latest issue, I need to see another sample of your Project file and also the macro you are using to incorporate the machine setup time. Make sure the columns show the Project field name and not just what you may have renamed them. For example, if you renamed the Number1 field as "M/C Qty", make sure I can tell it is the Number1 field. Depending on how complex it is, I may ask you to send me your actual file.

Just for reference all time in Project is stored in minutes regardless of what units you use to display duration values. So if you multiply a value in the Duration1 field by a value in the Number1 field, Project will interpret the Duration1 value as minutes.

John

Sunday, January 13, 2019 10:44 PM
  • Plz share your email to send you the actual file.
    Monday, January 14, 2019 12:03 PM
  • VSNPrasadK,

You can send your file to me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jmacprojataticlouddotdotcom

(remove obvious redundancies)

Monday, January 14, 2019 7:48 PM