Need to understand intra-Organization Mail flow Monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• I have just imported my exchange managemnt pack. After a few days I got it to work. All my server roles got discovered. Now I want to test the mailflow synthetic transactions. I read that the local Mailflow is enabled by default and that's fine. But I am wondering if I need the intra-Organization mailflow monitoring.

What I am trying to say is if my Exchange only have 2 mailbox servers in CCR mode and that I only have one Exchange organization. Do I need to make this mailflow test ?

Thanks
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• If you only have 1 mailbox server (with 2 nodes), then you need not configure the intra organization mail flow.

Do have two different mailbox servers are they in the same Windows Active Directory site or are they in different locations?  

If they are in the same site, you probably are good enough with just the local mail flow, it will show you the mailbox servers can contact a hub server in the site and the hub server can deliver mail to the local mailbox server.   Going between the two servers will give you extra assurance that the mail but it is probably extra cost for a little bit more gain.

If they are in different sites, then you should consider using the intra organization mail flow to assure yourself that mail is flowing between the two sites.  But this it is up to you if you want to take the overhead for mail flow between the sites being tested.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:43 AM

All replies

• hi,
    that check is mail flow between your mail servers. if you only have two of them, in a cluster, you might not need to monitor mail flow between them.

--

Anders Bengtsson
    Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager
    www.contoso.se

Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:29 PM
  • If you only have 1 mailbox server (with 2 nodes), then you need not configure the intra organization mail flow.

Do have two different mailbox servers are they in the same Windows Active Directory site or are they in different locations?  

If they are in the same site, you probably are good enough with just the local mail flow, it will show you the mailbox servers can contact a hub server in the site and the hub server can deliver mail to the local mailbox server.   Going between the two servers will give you extra assurance that the mail but it is probably extra cost for a little bit more gain.

If they are in different sites, then you should consider using the intra organization mail flow to assure yourself that mail is flowing between the two sites.  But this it is up to you if you want to take the overhead for mail flow between the sites being tested.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:43 AM