none
Internet explorer 11 32 bit mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Have an issue and ive searched and searched with no resolution ( maybe the words im using if there is a fix)

The issue a client is having is they need to be running 32 bit browser to run in order to use a check scanner with a local bank. when they try using IE11 it run 64 bit and will not run 32 bit no matter where you launch it from. Confirmed that enable protected mode is turned off as well. They can use google chrome eith a add on called IE tabs but it hasnt been playing nicely so would rather they use internet explorer if we can get it to run in a 32 bit mode. anyone have a suggestion on what else we can try

Thanks

Dan

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Assuming that the bank website hosts the ActiveX control that launches your in-house check scanner.

Tools>Internet Optons>Security tab, Trusted Sites zone.... add the domain of the bank in the form *.bank.com to the list of trusted sites. To find out which IE security zone a domain is mapped to use the File>Properties menu from IE.

(note: the Trusted sites zone actually has a lower integrity than the internet zone. eg. unsigned ActiveX controls are allowed to run.... you should not place public access websites like google, facebook or ms in this zone)....

Also check that ActiveX filtering is not turned on for the bank web site.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2011/02/28/activex-filtering-for-consumers/

and

Ensure that you have updated your windows versions with the November and December updates for IE. You may also need to update Java JRT manually by visiting Java.com

see https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/09/13/blocking-out-of-date-flash/ & Java JRT.

and

to view the status of the scanner ActiveX control go Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons

find the scanner control in the list and double click it to display its properties.... Post back with a copy and paste of the properties page of the control so we can investigate its nature (COM,Flash or Java JRT based)... Ensure that it is enabled and allowed to run in all sites(*) (not recommended) or in just the bank website. (*.bank.com) ... recommended. If the scanner addon is Flash or JavaJRT, and it does not work, then you need to update your Flash and/or Java JRT installation, that will include the x64 based versions of those components/addons.

Since the issue involves third-party components, you should in the first instance contact the banks' help desk to inform them of the issue.... they will have to eventually update their scanner control and include a 64bit version with their customers' deployments.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, January 9, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Thanks for the reply's guys

so a little more into this. has the lastest updates for IE installed

so i launched IE and opened multiple tabs, which on her system is staying under one IE process which isnt allowing the 32 bit to run as its just showing 64bit IE.

Do i have to do the registry edit to set the tab process on the system to get it to open the tab in 32 bit? or is there another solution to that one

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:27 PM
  • also i should note i used process explorer to view the IE and it was only showing one without any subs ie's compared to my windows 10 pc that when i run it, shows IE 64 bit and sub IE's running 32 bit
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:30 PM
  • showing one without any subs

That's possible but only if it is done deliberately IME (or if something has gone wrong after all the tab tasks are terminated).   For example, Run... iexplore.exe  -nohome  can do it if it is started first.  But then as soon as you use Stop  (Alt-V p) a tab task will appear with it.  Some people might use this in a Desktop shortcut so they could always do what they wanted when IE is first started, e.g. not even having about:blank as the Home page.

Otherwise, if there is a tab open doing anything there is a tab process and a "chrome" process which started it.  You can see this most clearly by using WMIC.  So, instead of using ProcExp (which may be causing the same kind of confusion that Task Manager can if used improperly) try doing this in a cmd window:

wmic.exe  process  where Name="iexplore.exe"  Get  CommandLine, ProcessId

You can tell from the Path in the CommandLine whether the Task is 32-bit or not (e.g. whether (x86) is present or not).  Also you can tell from the /SCODEF: parameter and the ProcessId field which Task is its "chrome" (where you would see no (x86) in the Path).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:19 PM
    Answerer
  • showing one without any subs

That's possible but only if it is done deliberately IME (or if something has gone wrong after all the tab tasks are terminated).   For example, Run... iexplore.exe  -nohome  can do it if it is started first.  But then as soon as you use Stop  (Alt-V p) a tab task will appear with it.  Some people might use this in a Desktop shortcut so they could always do what they wanted when IE is first started, e.g. not even having about:blank as the Home page.

Otherwise, if there is a tab open doing anything there is a tab process and a "chrome" process which started it.  You can see this most clearly by using WMIC.  So, instead of using ProcExp (which may be causing the same kind of confusion that Task Manager can if used improperly) try doing this in a cmd window:

wmic.exe  process  where Name="iexplore.exe"  Get  CommandLine, ProcessId

You can tell from the Path in the CommandLine whether the Task is 32-bit or not (e.g. whether (x86) is present or not).  Also you can tell from the /SCODEF: parameter and the ProcessId field which Task is its "chrome" (where you would see no (x86) in the Path).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

It only shows one internet explorer running using the command line, tho as i explained earlier, one machine showed sub processes for IE using process explorer. much like the screen grab yo mama added above. but this pc is only running one process, does not matter how many tabs you have open nor if you have them as trusted sites. 
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:13 PM
  • Check if your client's reg entry here is 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\TabProcGrowth

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2716529

I think the default would normally be, that reg entry is absent.

Yeah its non existent, which is one that i had found earlier today but wasnt sure of that is the only fix or even if it made a difference with IE 11 as i didnt see any mention of it for IE 11, ill try it an see what happens
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Check if your client's reg entry here is 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\TabProcGrowth

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2716529

I think the default would normally be, that reg entry is absent.

put that in and it worked like a charm
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 8:31 PM