Problem with user access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are having one site collection, it has 10 sub sites. For one subsite i am having problem with SharePoint Groups all the groups suddenly changed to No Access for example I have owner, members & viewers group I am trying to add new user next to each group it has (xxx owner (No Access)) Can any one help.

Thanks in advance

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:21 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:55 AM

Answers

• Are you the one who created the subsite?  If not, then you may not be able to add members to the groups because you aren't the owner of the group.  By default only the owner of a group can add new members to a group.  If the person who created the subsite goes to the group and checks the group settings you can change the owner to a SharePoint group so additional people can add users to the group.  You can also set the group so that anyone can add users, but I usually think that's a bad idea.  I usually set group ownership to the owners group for the site.  That way anyone who has been made an owner can add users.  Full Control to the site doesn't automatically give you the ability to manage group membership.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog Twitter: @pstork
    • Proposed as answer by Pious PP Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Entan MingModerator Friday, August 26, 2011 6:24 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:03 PM

All replies

• No matter where groups are created they are always shared across the entire site collection.  So you should never add or remove users to a group in a subsite.  Doing so will add or remove the user from that group everywhere in the site collection.  The only thing that is stored at a sub site level is the connection between a securable object (the subsite), a sharePoint user/group, and a permission level.  Creating a new group in a sub site will still add the group to all the sites in the site collection, but the permission level you associate with it will only be for that particular subsite.  In other subsites it will be No Access by default.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog Twitter: @pstork
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hi Paul,

When we created a sub site we mentioned not to inherit permission from parent site. Then by default it has created 4 groups (owner , member, visitor) so when i try to add user to that group I see No Access next to that group.

Thanks  

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Are you the one who created the subsite?  If not, then you may not be able to add members to the groups because you aren't the owner of the group.  By default only the owner of a group can add new members to a group.  If the person who created the subsite goes to the group and checks the group settings you can change the owner to a SharePoint group so additional people can add users to the group.  You can also set the group so that anyone can add users, but I usually think that's a bad idea.  I usually set group ownership to the owners group for the site.  That way anyone who has been made an owner can add users.  Full Control to the site doesn't automatically give you the ability to manage group membership.
    • Proposed as answer by Pious PP Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Entan MingModerator Friday, August 26, 2011 6:24 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:03 PM