OCS 2007 - Setting up for external voice and video RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am completely new to OCS 2007 R2, I have setup OCS internally now the requirement is to set it up externally for all external users - require voice and video (web conference).

Can someone explain or send a document on the steps required to do so.

Monday, November 15, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Darshan,

To deploy external access with or without PBX like voice integration you will need to utilize an edge server.  This server will allow your external users to access OCS from outside of the WAN without a VPN.  Please see the following document:s

Edge Configuration Guide - Office Communications Server 2007 and Office Communications Server 2007 R2 External Access.doc

Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Edge Server Deployment Guide.doc

from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9f86f96-aa09-4dca-9088-f64b4f01c703&displaylang=en

If you would also like to add voice integration to a SIP trunk/PBX there would be further planning involved and I would recommend starting with:

Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise Voice Deployment Guide.doc  (at the same URL as the others).

To allow external users to access the address book or Live Meeting functionality (if that is desired) you should also look at deploying a reverse proxy such as ISA to publish the Front End server via https.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    • Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:20 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 3:01 PM

All replies

• hi darshan

please detail if you are planning on connecting to the PSTN or SIP trunks or via a pbx

have you an understanding of normalization and call routing and dial plans?

thanks

john

John
    Monday, November 15, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi Darshan,

To deploy external access with or without PBX like voice integration you will need to utilize an edge server.  This server will allow your external users to access OCS from outside of the WAN without a VPN.  Please see the following document:s

Edge Configuration Guide - Office Communications Server 2007 and Office Communications Server 2007 R2 External Access.doc

Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Edge Server Deployment Guide.doc

from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9f86f96-aa09-4dca-9088-f64b4f01c703&displaylang=en

If you would also like to add voice integration to a SIP trunk/PBX there would be further planning involved and I would recommend starting with:

Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise Voice Deployment Guide.doc  (at the same URL as the others).

To allow external users to access the address book or Live Meeting functionality (if that is desired) you should also look at deploying a reverse proxy such as ISA to publish the Front End server via https.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    • Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:20 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Thank you Kevin,

I will go through the docs mentioned and get back to you.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:16 AM
  • My requirement is to have video and audio over the computer not to dial telephones from computers. So i guess that does not require a PSTN.

sorry i dont have much idea of normalization rules, apart from the basic stuff. a document on that would help.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:19 AM