none
Windows Update not responding. RRS feed

• Question

• I take care of a number of PCs all using Windows 10 Pro. One PC started having trouble after the February cumulative update. I don't necessarily think the problem is related to the update, but that was the timeframe the error started occurring.

There are two problems. The first problem is that Windows Update checking now never completes. The Windows Update page in Settings is empty except for the five dots traveling along the top. The build is 10240.16683. The Windows Update Troubleshooter detects no errors.

The second problem is that the person cannot connect to login.live.com using Internet Explorer. It takes a very long time (up to 15 minutes) to connect to several Microsoft.com properties as well. Using Chrome, however, works well. IE connecting to other domains does not demonstrate the problem

Anyone have any ideas?
    --
    Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Sunday, March 20, 2016 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook],

One case one issue, it would be very clear and convenient to follow up the case.

Have you got any error messages or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer?

Please take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    For the windows update issue:
    1. Run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    2.Try to clear the update cache.
    Clear the windows update cache.
     net stop wuauserv
      cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
      ren Download Download.old
      net start wuauserv
      Restart the machine and manually check for updates again
    3.Tunr off the firewall and the antivirus software temporarily.
    4.Refer to the following to register the Windows Update components(manually steps)
    How do I reset Windows Update components?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058
    If the issue persists, I hope the windowsupdate.log (Open powershell and run "get-windowsupdatelog")would have some useful information to troubleshoot the issue.

For the Internet Explorer issue, please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot.
    1.Clear the cache.
    Tools\Safety\Delete browsing history
    2.Run "iexplore.exe /extoff" to open Internet Explorer without add-ons.
    3.Untick all the proxy configurations.
    4.If the issue persists, we could try to reset the Internet Explorer to get an original settings.
    Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\Reset

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:33 AM

All replies

• Try to repair Windows 10 using DISM : 
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, March 20, 2016 9:49 PM
  • I take care of a number of PCs all using Windows 10 Pro. One PC started having trouble after the February cumulative update. I don't necessarily think the problem is related to the update, but that was the timeframe the error started occurring.

There are two problems. The first problem is that Windows Update checking now never completes. The Windows Update page in Settings is empty except for the five dots traveling along the top. The build is 10240.16683. The Windows Update Troubleshooter detects no errors.

The second problem is that the person cannot connect to login.live.com using Internet Explorer. It takes a very long time (up to 15 minutes) to connect to several Microsoft.com properties as well. Using Chrome, however, works well. IE connecting to other domains does not demonstrate the problem

Anyone have any ideas?
    --
    Brian Tillman

Any reason why you donot update that PC to 10586 by using the iso from either MCT or Tech Bench ?
    Monday, March 21, 2016 4:31 AM

One case one issue, it would be very clear and convenient to follow up the case.

Have you got any error messages or are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer?

Please take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    For the windows update issue:
    1. Run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    2.Try to clear the update cache.
    Clear the windows update cache.
     net stop wuauserv
      cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
      ren Download Download.old
      net start wuauserv
      Restart the machine and manually check for updates again
    3.Tunr off the firewall and the antivirus software temporarily.
    4.Refer to the following to register the Windows Update components(manually steps)
    How do I reset Windows Update components?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058
    If the issue persists, I hope the windowsupdate.log (Open powershell and run "get-windowsupdatelog")would have some useful information to troubleshoot the issue.

For the Internet Explorer issue, please take the following steps to have a troubleshoot.
    1.Clear the cache.
    Tools\Safety\Delete browsing history
    2.Run "iexplore.exe /extoff" to open Internet Explorer without add-ons.
    3.Untick all the proxy configurations.
    4.If the issue persists, we could try to reset the Internet Explorer to get an original settings.
    Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\Reset

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 21, 2016 6:33 AM
  • I'm unfamiliar with DISM, but I am familiar with sfc and I had the thought of using it before seeing that suggestion here. I did run it last night. It said it detected errors and could not repair them. Nevertheless, after running it, Windows Update started working again and the issue with logging into live.com also went away.

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:08 PM
  • > Any reason why you donot update that PC to 10586 by using the iso from either MCT or Tech Bench ?

I'm allowing Windows Update to apply whatever build it thinks is appropriate.

Monday, March 21, 2016 8:10 PM

It seems that there is something wrong with the system files. I am glad the issue has been resolved and thanks for updating. Please remember to mark the helpful replies.

Best regards

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:10 AM