Larger response object failing via WCF on XP RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a windows service which gathers data from various sources, and communicates that data to a client via WCF (returned in a single "state" object).

Everything is fine with the service and the communication, with one exception that I do not know how to troubleshoot any further.

When the number of datapoints reaches a fairly high number, the service is no longer able to return the state object, when the service is running on Windows XP.  It works fine when the service is running on any operating system beyond Windows XP.

We're using net.tcp when the connection is remote, or named pipes when the connection is local.  I've tried adding reader quotes in the bindings with different settings with no change in result.  The only difference I'm seeing is that when I run the service on an XP environment it fails, but any other environment it works fine.

Is there some subtle limitation with return object sizes that is different with XP than other OS's?

My tests have involved Windows XP, Windows Embedded, Windows XP in two different virtual environments (Hyper-V and older Virtual PC) with failures.  On Windows Server 2008 (32 bit), Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit), Windows Server 2012 (64 bit), and Windows 8 (64 bit), it has worked fine.

Friday, August 16, 2013 3:46 PM