Starting Windows from external USB HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have a notebook with 2 HDDs. One data, one windows installation. I can change the second one with HDDs one with 7, one 8.1, one 10.

To avoid opening and change I would like to start from external case by USB 3.0.

By BIOS this is possible. Some people say this will not work generally, others say yes. As well known a start is possible by USB stick, bootable with Win PE or Windows To go or similar, also as I was told by complete installed windows.

Installation directly to an external HDD is not possible.

But now I use preinstalled windows from intern put to an external HDD case for 2,5''.

Is that possible generally ?? When I do it, startscreen appears but then BSOD with inaccessible boot device. Some change possible to do that or generally impossible ??

Monday, October 7, 2019 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You are looking Windows to Go feature

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 7, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Hello,

You are looking Windows to Go feature

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No ! I am not doing that ! Cant you read ??
    Monday, October 7, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Hello,

Then I an confused as to what you are attempting, when you state you would like to start from the external case via USB 3.0.   You mention installation to External drive as well.

That sounds like you are wanting to boot and run Windows 10 from an external USB drive which is only supported via the WindowstoGo feature .

Please clarify what you are looking to accomplish.

Monday, October 7, 2019 11:29 PM
  • Hi

Like Darrell said, it’s better to use Windows To Go.

More details you can refer to the following link:

Windows OS on external hard drive

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Please let us know if you would like further help.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am very happy to help you. Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem?  If you think the answer is helpful, please mark it as a reply, which will help more users get valid information.

Have a nice day=.=

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:36 AM
  • So it is not possible to start an installed windows from a notebook from an external usb hardcase if this is possible by BIOS ??

Why ??

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Hi,

Windows To Go is meet your demand, have you check it?

Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:43 AM