Where Workflows are stored? RRS feed

• Question

• I just need to know where workflows of Sharepoint 2007 are stored? I mean Sharepoint built-in and workflows of Sharepoint Designer?

Thanks.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:28 AM

Answers

• SharePoint Designer workflows are stored in the content database for the site with the list/library they were created for. You can see the XML files in SharePoint Designer.

The built-in workflows are not SharePoint Designer workflows. They are compiled DLLs (Visual Studio projects / C#) in the Global Assembly Cache and their state when "sleeping" is stored in the databases.

If you are asking if you can get to the build-in workflows to modify them, the answer is no. Microsoft did not release the source code.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:00 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:35 AM

All replies

• SharePoint Designer workflows are stored in the content database for the site with the list/library they were created for. You can see the XML files in SharePoint Designer.

The built-in workflows are not SharePoint Designer workflows. They are compiled DLLs (Visual Studio projects / C#) in the Global Assembly Cache and their state when "sleeping" is stored in the databases.

If you are asking if you can get to the build-in workflows to modify them, the answer is no. Microsoft did not release the source code.

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:00 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:35 AM
  • Actually i have any problem with saving workflow with Sharepoint Designer 12 - i get the following error:"Errors were found when compiling the workflow.The workflow files were saved but cannot be run". So i need to know where Shaerpoint Designer workflows are stored and what to check for fixing the problem.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:13 AM

• To find the workflow, open your site in SharePoint Designer. Scroll to the bottom of the Folder List on the left. Expand the Workflows folder.
    Expand your work flow.
    Double-click the ".xoml" to edit the workflow.

Most errors are incomplete Conditions or Actions. Browse through the steps looking for any "underlined blue text".

Your error is probably something else... This page describes your error message: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/HA102379121033.aspx
    (this link is not working for me today, so here's a link to a cached version of the page: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:5gpAgJk3GVAJ:office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/HA102379121033.aspx+HA102379121033&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This is from that page:

Errors were found when compiling the workflow. The workflow files were saved but cannot be run.

Cause

• You may have inadvertently canceled the workflow compilation process.
    • The server-side validation for the workflow was unsuccessful because of errors in the workflow.

Resolution

• If you have inadvertently canceled the workflow compilation, click Finish in the Workflow Designer to compile the workflow again.
    • Otherwise, make sure the workflow design uses valid data and logic.

Also do a web search for "Errors were found when compiling the workflow.The workflow files were saved but cannot be run". It appears that changes to your site's web.config or the addition of custom actions or conditions could also generate this error.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:58 PM