ATA Center service not starting after Windows Update/reboot RRS feed

• Question

• This is possible very similar to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/60f0412e-d16f-41e5-8954-c381aac7cc79/ata-center-service-failing-to-start?forum=mata but not exactly the same, so I'm starting a new thread.

Last night my ATA Center server restarted following the installation of the September update rollup for Server 2012 R2.

The ATA Center service now fails to start and I get the following in the Microsoft.Tri.Center-Errors.log:

2017-09-20 14:47:53.7616 1936 5   00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 Error [CenterConfigurationManager+<GetConfigurationAsync>d__7] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Center.Service.CenterConfigurationManager.GetConfigurationAsync(?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.ConfigurationManager`2.UpdateConfigurationAsync[](?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.ConfigurationManager`2.OnInitializeAsync[](?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Center.Service.CenterConfigurationManager.OnInitializeAsync(?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.Module.InitializeAsync(?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.ModuleManager.OnInitializeAsync(?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.Module.InitializeAsync(?)
       at async Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.Service.OnStartAsync(?)
       at Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Framework.Service.OnStart(String[] args)

Per the other forum thread linked to above, I've check the most recent json file and the licence info looks fine:

"UpdateTime":"2016-12-20T11:29:47.269Z","LicenseType":"Standard","ProductId":"redacted-not-sure-if-confidential","EvaluationExpirationTime":null,"ValidationErrorMessageKey":null

Help! Is there any way to recover from this? Any idea what triggered it?

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:19 PM

Answers

• Per our emails, and to close this off for others, I ended up doing a fresh install of v1.8.
    • Marked as answer by robincm2 Monday, October 30, 2017 11:38 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 11:38 AM

All replies

• Good! please make sure to backup this fine json file outside of the machine.

It means you have good chances of recovery.

Please contact me at atashare at microsoft com , as this issue might bee to complex for forum troubleshooting.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Per our emails, and to close this off for others, I ended up doing a fresh install of v1.8.
    • Marked as answer by robincm2 Monday, October 30, 2017 11:38 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 11:38 AM
  • I've had this twice since.

Apparently due to a problem with MongoDB, made worse if the Center machine runs low on resources such as memory or disk space. I've now upped the RAM on the VM to the 48GB specified by the automated ATA sizing tool.

Hopefully that'll do the trick until v1.9 is released with a fix.

Friday, November 17, 2017 4:56 PM