Windows Storage Server NTFS Permissioning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I've been tasked with setting up a Windows Storage Server 2008 for our Active Directory home folders. I'm stuck with how to permission these shares. When a user is created in AD with a home folder path, it automatically creates a folder on the storage server for the particular user. The user will have Full-Control from within this folder.

My problem is: I would like the user to be able to create the folder(home folder created from AD) on the storage share but not be able to write/delete/read access on any other  files/folders on the share?

Can anyone advice if this is possible and how i could do it or point me int the right dirrection to obtaining this information?

Thanks

• Edited by MikeFree Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:08 PM grammer
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need to modify the NTFS permission of the folder. Only give the user Modify permission who create the folder. Then, other users cannot access to this folder.

Read (R) - View attributes, contents, and permissions. Can synchronize.

Write (W) - Can change attributes, and file contents. Can create files or folders. Can synchronize.

Read(R) and Execute (E) - Can change sub folders, perform read operations, and execute a file.

List Folder Contents - Can perform read and execute permissions on folders. Can view folder contents, attributes, permissions. Can synchronize and change to subfolders.

Modify - Perform Read, Execute, and Write permissions along with ability to delete.

Full Control - Can perform Modify functions (above), take ownership, and modify permissions.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:

File and folder permissions

http://technet.microsoft.com/tr-tr/library/dd349321(en-us,printer).aspx

In addition, it’s appears that the issue related to storage permission. I’d suggest that we post this issue at File Services and Storage forum. Your understanding is appreciated.

File Services and Storage Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/threads

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Aiden_Cao Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by MikeFree Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:18 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 6:18 AM