EMET supresses start of Word and IE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi at all,

I have Win 7 SP1 (with all important and recommended updates) with MS Office 2013 and IE 11.
    I've noticed today that EMET 5.2 suppressed the start of Word and IE; because "Caller mitigation".

The following actions were not successful:
    - Go back to an earlier restore point (as Word was still running)
    - Repair Office (online)
    - Disable Add-ins in Word
    - Complete virus scan

The problem can, however, get around by removing the checkmark for Caller in EMET for winword.exe.

Does somebody know the cause of the problem and a clean solution?

Thank you very much.

Axel F.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 1:35 PM

All replies

• On my test computer with EMET 4.15228.513 on Vista SP2 I experienced the same sort of problems.Suddenly IE9 and Word 2007 were crashing. I had to disable more mitigations then the Caller mitigation before those programs could be started again.

I don't experience these problems on my other computers and also didn't hear any complaints from others.

As far as I can tell no updates were installed which could cause these problems so I'm also curious about the cause and the solution.

W. Spu

Saturday, October 3, 2015 3:13 PM
  • Are you using a virus scanner from Symantec like Norton Internet Security. I found this forum post on the norton community https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6687801#comment-6687801

W. Spu

• Proposed as answer by W. Spu Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:13 PM
    Saturday, October 3, 2015 7:21 PM
  • Hi W. Spu,

thank you for your answer. Yes I've Norton Internet Security on my computer and I don't know exactly, but I think you are right. That could be the problem, because when I've gone back to a earlier Windows restore point, for a short time (before Norton has made its update again) everthing was working well.

ciao

Axel F.

Monday, October 5, 2015 5:21 PM