none
Project Server 2013 on existing SharePoint farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My customer selected to install Project Server 2013 on their newly created SharePoint 2013 farm, rather than creating a separate farm just for Project Server. For that purpose, they are planning to add 2 new servers to the farm acting as WFE and APP respectively. They want to access PWA through the new WFE only. And Project Application Service will only run on the APP.

I have some questions and I'd appreciate your feedback:

1. Is it correct to assume that the new WFE will not participate in the load-balancing scheme for the existing WFE servers?

2. Is it valid to suggest adding the 2 new servers as both WFE/APP so that users gain some sort of availability? Usage is not expected to be that huge to "justify" separate roles, and a load-balancing approach sounds attractive. But is this a valid scenario?

3. If #2 is valid, is it a good idea to create another NLB for the 2 PS2013 servers only, thus having a farm with 5 WFE, 3 of which in their own NLB and 2 in a separate one just for Project Server? I assume it's all about DNS, but I am a bit worried if AAM can support this.

TIA

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hello tasaras,

This is what I think,

1. If you terminate DNS address of PWA on new WFE there will be no load-balcing since you have only 1 WFE

2. Depending on the usage and load on the application server, you may need to keep application server seprate.

3. If you decide to configure 2 WFE servers, you could create seprate NLB and terminate DNS address to NLB IP address so that traffic can be load balanced

Hope this helps

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by tasanton Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi

Regarding question 2:

yes, that would be OK. You could enable WFE and Project Application service on both servers, and use NLB to distribute the load between the WFEs.

But what you have to keep in mind: you have to install Project Server 2013 to all servers of the farm and also license all of the servers.

So it might not really make sense to have separate WFEs for Project Server.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hello tasaras,

This is what I think,

1. If you terminate DNS address of PWA on new WFE there will be no load-balcing since you have only 1 WFE

2. Depending on the usage and load on the application server, you may need to keep application server seprate.

3. If you decide to configure 2 WFE servers, you could create seprate NLB and terminate DNS address to NLB IP address so that traffic can be load balanced

Hope this helps

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi

Regarding question 2:

yes, that would be OK. You could enable WFE and Project Application service on both servers, and use NLB to distribute the load between the WFEs.

But what you have to keep in mind: you have to install Project Server 2013 to all servers of the farm and also license all of the servers.

So it might not really make sense to have separate WFEs for Project Server.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Thanks Christoph, I am aware of the installation and licensing scheme.

However the customer wants to "isolate" user request load...

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:32 PM