External hard drive/Network storage link issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following:
    1.  Cisco - Linksys Network Storage Link
    2.  Western DigitalWD1600B015 Hard Drive (attached to the storage link)

My old computer was Windows XP and had no problems seeing the storage link and hard drive.  My new Gateway computer has Windows Vista and while I can see the storage link device after a lot of work and I see the items on the hard drive, I am not able to map that drive, nor am I able to see items on the hard drive like you would normally see items on a drive.   I can only see the items on the hard drive through the administrative functions of the network storage link.

I have unplugged the hard drive and plugged it directly into the new computer and while it recognizes it and says that it is correctly installed, I do not have a drive letter assigned and cannot see the hard drive to access the data.

I believe the issue with that is the format the data is saved in, but that should not be an issue with it plugged into the network storage link.   Until getting the new computer, I had not issues with access the data whatsoever.

I want to back all the data up on that hard drive to another external hard drive and I am unable to do that.

Any suggestion?
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Western Digital website indicate that the device is not a Windows Vista compatible device.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1274

Therefore, the hard drive may not work with your Windows Vista computer. I suggest that you contact Western Digital, and confirm if they will release any firmware upgrade for the device.

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/contact.asp

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:53 AM