none
MS Project 2010 - Question about rolling up tasks onto summary bar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope someone can help me out. I have a large master programme with over 100 tasks with each task having 4 sub tasks. My aim is to display each task on one line and I have been achieving this using the roll up function. This works very well if the sub tasks are sequential but does not work if the sub tasks overlap at all. Is there any way that I can roll up sub tasks onto a summary bar to show an overlap (potentially a hatched marking or stepped summary bar)?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Example:

Task: Build House

Sub Task: Design AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sub Task: Construct BBBBBBBBBBBB

Sub Task: Furnish CCCCCCCCCCCCC

Milestone: Complete/Handover

Most projects are finish to start: AAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCHandover - these work very well when rolled up.

I have a few where task B will start before task A is finished and what I would like is to be able to show the cross over on one bar. For example:

AAAAAAABABABABABBBBBBCCCCCCCHandover

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Gordon

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I cannot see a simple way to do that.

There might be a workaround, but quite an ugly one..

You could customize in the bar style dialog box the "rolled up task" style to have a shape with a upper bar.

Then copy-paste it to add a "overlapped rolled up task" with the flag1 and a lower bar style. Now as soon as you flag a task (an overlapped one) with the flag1, it will be displayed with a lower bar where as the rest of the tasks will have an upper bar style.

You can refer to this blog post which gives an example of formatting bar styles.

http://psbehindthescene.blogspot.fr/2015/06/formatting-gantt-chart-using-task-status.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Here is the configuration:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:25 AM