none
Windows Defender

Question

• Hello,

My windows defender in Win 10 has stopped working and the headline message I get in the pop-up is...

"this app is turned off by group policy"

How do I edit group policy to get defender working again?

Or is their a program that could do it for me?

I can usually get over most problems that arise but I am stumped with this one.

Can anyone help please.

Goozzie

Saturday, December 19, 2015 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hello my friend !

The message you have received indicates that the Windows Defender is being disabled by a Group Policy Object!

To fix this problem up :

-If your computer has not been joined to an Active Directory Domain : (Means it is a WorkGroup)

1- Open Run via holding Windows Key + R

2- Type Gpedit.msc

3- Go to the following directory :

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Component/Windows Defender

4-As seen in this picture you would see a setting entitled Turn of Windows Defender.

5-Double click on the setting you will see a dialogue box as the following:

6-Ensure it is being configured as Not Configured or Disabled.

7-Click OK and close Local Group Policy Editor.

8-Open a Command Prompt.

9-Type 

:-> Gpupdate /Force

If my reply helped you please mark my reply as the answer.

Regards

Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:36 PM
  • Hello again mate please answer my questions:

Is your computer a member of an Active Directory Domain ? (It is not if its a Home PC you have bought form Best Buy - Asus and etc or if you have installed the OS yourself)

Do you have any other Anti-Malware software like Nod32 or Kasper-Sky ?

Monday, December 21, 2015 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hello my friend !

The message you have received indicates that the Windows Defender is being disabled by a Group Policy Object!

To fix this problem up :

-If your computer has not been joined to an Active Directory Domain : (Means it is a WorkGroup)

1- Open Run via holding Windows Key + R

2- Type Gpedit.msc

3- Go to the following directory :

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Component/Windows Defender

4-As seen in this picture you would see a setting entitled Turn of Windows Defender.

5-Double click on the setting you will see a dialogue box as the following:

6-Ensure it is being configured as Not Configured or Disabled.

7-Click OK and close Local Group Policy Editor.

8-Open a Command Prompt.

9-Type 

:-> Gpupdate /Force

If my reply helped you please mark my reply as the answer.

Regards

Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:36 PM
  • Ben,

I have followed your instructions to the letter several times but with no success.

When I have opened a command prompt and entered Gpupdate /Force the computer works and I get the reply on the screen of -----

Computer policy update has completed successfully

User policy update has completed successfully

-----

I have tried re-booting after this but I still cannot get Windows Defender to run.

I am getting the same message as before----"this app is turned off by group policy"

What else do you suggest??

Regards

G

Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Hello again mate please answer my questions:

Is your computer a member of an Active Directory Domain ? (It is not if its a Home PC you have bought form Best Buy - Asus and etc or if you have installed the OS yourself)

Do you have any other Anti-Malware software like Nod32 or Kasper-Sky ?

Monday, December 21, 2015 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the registry keys describled in the following KB article to confirm whether the GP is still applied:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927367

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:31 AM
  • Simon,

Many thanks for your info but I am sorry I am just a layman and can fix most problems but this is beyond me. Your info must be good but I am unable to understand it. What I need, f it means changing the registry, a step by step instruction on how to get my Windows Defender to run. As I said your info is good but my understanding of the registry is very limited. I can go through the registry deleting any mention of a program that I have deleted and can find things to be altered if I am told where to look and what to do when I find it. I should have replied to Ben loghmanian some time ago but I had to go away over the holiday period and have only just returned.

So if you are reading this Ben I apologise.

Regards

G

Goozzie

• Edited by Goozzie Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:26 PM