KB4462923 install failed in "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard" operation system RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft Server Support Team,

KB4462923install failed in "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard" operation system, open Event Viewer, find error message: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070020: 2018-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4462923).  [Event ID: 20]

1. Why KB4462923 install failed ?  

2. How to fix this issue ?   

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Glad to help.

0x80070020 means "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

So before the installation, please temporarily turn off all of your AV software, File Protection software, and Back up software, then try installing it again and check the result.

Also note that you need to install the latest SSU (KB3177467) before installing KB4462923.

If issue persist, it would be helpful if you could upload the windowsupdate.log for further troubleshooting.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:18 AM
  • Hello, 

I do have the same problem, The servicing stack (KB3177467) is already installed and Symantec Endpoint also stopped. still, it fails on KB4462923

Please advise. -Babak 

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 3:34 AM
  • Hello,

Please provide the windowsupdate.log for further troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:45 AM
  • I have the same problem.

Please, sharing information.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:31 PM
  • How can I attach the file here? I can not find the attach button.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:20 PM
  • Dear MS Support team,

Confirm the latest SSU file "KB3177467" is already installed on windows 2008 server. After, I try to uninstall AV software "Symantec Endpoint Protection" and then install KB4462923, but still failed. Now I upload this server's windows update log file "windowsUpdate.log" to you. Please help further troubleshooting .If you find out solution, please feedback me. Thanks

How to upload this log file "windowsUpdate.log"  ?   Do I need transfer this file to you through FTP ?   

Best Regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Hello,

You could upload it to onedrive and paste the link here.

Best Regards,

Ray

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:43 PM
  • Dear Ray,

Sorry, I don't know where find your onedrive.

Can you send your onedrive link to me for upload windowsupdate.log file ?

Regards

Vincent Kan

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:57 PM
  •     

Hello,

Thank you for being so polite.

You should upload it to your own Onedrive or any other cloud drive you preferred and then paste the link.

Here is a example, look in the end of the page.

And here is a guide how to do it. Be careful not to include any privacy about your personal and business in the file. 

Best Regards, 
    Ray

Thursday, November 1, 2018 3:01 AM
  • Here is the link for my Windows Update log, please let me know if you need anything else.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvgWsbcrBFm6akpiOXlQoRhvHQE

Thanks

-Babak

Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Hello,

I find a error message 0x80070002 which means "The system cannot find the file specified."

Have you tried to download and install it manually? Here is the download link.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Friday, November 2, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Yes, I did, same error and got failed. 

Downloaded from Microsoft website and trying to install it individually. but no luck.

Friday, November 2, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Hi Ray,

I try to download and install KB file manually, but still can't installed.  Now I upload windows update's CBS log file into below location but not successful,  You make sure this link is correct ?  Please give me the link again for upload log file

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvgWsbcrBFm6akpiOXlQoRhvHQE

Regards

Vincent Kan

Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:36 PM
  • Hello,

Refer to following link to check if Dism or SFC could find and fix some system error.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

If error persist, try using DISM to install it.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/02/15/how-to-use-dism-to-install-a-hotfix-from-within-windows/

Best Regards,
    Ray 

Monday, November 5, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Install this update KB3177467, restart and your problem will be solved.

P.S. - Update after the restart.

Monday, November 5, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Hi Ray,

I already installed KB3177467 on windows server 2008 R2 operating system before long time agao. Now I tell you main problem.  I execute windows update and then install critical and important KB file. After the server reboot, enter windows system, screen display "Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting change" alert message. I try use below method to fix this problem   

1. Uninstall antivirus software
    2. Restart Windows and install windows updates in a clean boot state (Run msconfig.exe, select the service tab, select "Hide all Microsoft services" and "Disable all" and then Exit. after restart server and then run Windows Update)
    3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
    4. Stop windows update and BITS service, then rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.bak, then start windows update and BITS service

I try all above method, but still not success install KB file.  Can you help to fix this case ?  Do you have other solution ?  

Finally, this problem has been plagued for a long time. I don't want reinstall windows server 2008 R2 operating system  

Regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Monday, November 5, 2018 10:47 PM
  • Hello,

1. Rename or delete windowsupdate.log.
    2. Run following script in the elevated CMD on the affect client.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    usoclient.exe startscan

3. Paste the new windowupdate.log here.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Part 1:

Now I send you detail information my windows update install failure. Please click below link and download file.

That include :   

1. WindowsUpdate.log

2. dump screen for error message 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13gndZIDH8R-WeVhTS4oP4DcOrO6c41yw

Please check WindowUpdate log file and help to provide provide solution 

Part 2:

Ray, thank you provide the script 

1. I want to know clearly, if I execute you provide script, will it affect other server operations ?

2. Whether to execute the script in the windows safe mode environment, or execute the script in the normal windows operating environment ? 

Because I will use the "Remote Desktop Connection" software to remotely log in to the server to execute the script. 

Best Regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:44 PM
  • My problem has been RESOLVED.

I simply checked the CBS logs and found out that KB4103718 caused the problem. I just uninstalled it. then installed KB4462923 successfully. rebooted the server at the end.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Hi Ray,

Can you help check   ?  Any idea ? 

Best Regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Thursday, November 8, 2018 5:28 PM
  • Hi Ray,

I try run the script on server, but all KB file still install unsuccessful. Now provide you "windowsupdate.log" file, please help check it.  Thanks

Best Regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Thursday, November 8, 2018 10:37 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for my delay.

I am out of my lab now, and i would return and check your log few hours later. 

Best Regards,

Ray

Thursday, November 8, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for my delay. Let's move on.

I find lots of recurring error messages as follows.

WARNING: Got extended error: "POQ	Operation	CreateFile	OperationData	\??\C:\Windows\fonts\StaticCache.dat"

The good news is that i have seen that before. Refer to following posts.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/1c0b8248-3b3e-41cb-bda8-0b58c7927745/monthly-quality-rollup-fail?forum=winserverwsus

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b0e1aad8-008b-4771-a806-34fdb457c807/windows-server-2008-r2-update-fails-due-to-systemprotected-font?forum=winservergen

Try following workaround.

1. Download Process Explorer
       https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explore 
    2. Search for handles currently using "staticcache.dat" 
    1. End suspicious programs or processes from above results, such as file protected program or others.
    2. Re-install updates manually.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Friday, November 9, 2018 2:44 AM
  • Hi Ray,

I follow you provide solution, search "staticcache.dat" and kill process "SmcGui.exe", (Please click below link and see image file: "Get result from Process Explorer.jpg") 

Link:  https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/13gndZIDH8R-WeVhTS4oP4DcOrO6c41yw

Then, I try re-install windows updates manually, and reboot windows system, but screen still display "Failure Configuring Windows Updates Reverting change" message, and also KB file install failure. Why ? Did I do that correctly ?

Please give me feedback.  Thanks 

Best Regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Sunday, November 11, 2018 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

I would also like to jump in here with the same issue. 

For me it's reverting at 94% or sometimes 96%. Previously it used to revert at 15%, after which I uninstalled Arcserve Backup agent. Now it goes up to 96% and reverts.

Previously I got the error code 80070020. Now, the error code I am getting is 80070422.

I have already installed KB3177467. Still doesn't work. Tried all other troubleshooting steps with no success.

Please find the Windowsupdates.log and CBS logs here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsGLe0aBawYWaisLxWvlLk9697w

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Meer

Monday, November 12, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Hi Ray,

How about my issue ? Any news ?

Addition, I send to you my server's CBS.log file. Please find below

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13gndZIDH8R-WeVhTS4oP4DcOrO6c41yw

Please help check

Best Regard

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Monday, November 12, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Hello Vincent Kan,

Sorry for the delay.

I reviewed your screenshot of ProcessExplorer. The SmcGui.exe is a process of SEP. It is possible that the SEP prevent the post installation process. Although you kill the process, but it would restart when rebooting next time. So could you set SEP to not restart next time temperately? and check the results. 

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:19 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Can you please help me with this?

2018-11-12 03:31:21:975 548 1f44 Handler Post-reboot status for package Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7601.24263.1.4: 0x80070422.
    2018-11-12 03:31:21:975 548 1f44 Handler WARNING: Got extended error: "Installer Mof ErrorCode 80070422 Phase 32 Mode Install (upgrade) Component Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience-Program-Data, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS"

Facing the same for October and November Monthly Security Update on Windows Server 2008 R2

Regards,

MMK

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:02 AM
  • Hi Ray,

I already uninstall "Symantec Endpoint Protection" (SEP) antivirus software. Now SmcGui.exe not exist. After I try to install KB again, but still not fix this issue, KB file continuous install failed. Why ? How to fix this problem ?  

Best regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:28 PM
  • Hi Ray,

I have question, I have some other windows 2008 server also install SEP antivirus software.  Why these server  install all KB successfully ?   I think that is not main point for this case . Thanks

Best regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:41 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Could provide the latest log files when trying to install them? We could check that if the error messages are same as before.

And don't forget to rename the old log files first in case that the size of files are too big.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Ok, now provide you log files

Case 1.  We have some windows 2008 server can success install all three KB file "KB4467106", "KB4467107" &  "KB4466536". Please find log files as below list 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fLsAwUlA-Zwb75IQxIhzec4BLIdSbUUu

Case 2.  We have some windows 2008 server success install two KB files ""KB4467106" & "KB4466536", but "KB4467107" install failure. Please find log files as below list 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10CNe2UDHegdeisCfczDCC_cCBBDQXtrz

Please help check above log file.  I hope you can find root cause and then provide me solution.  Thank you very much.

Best regards

Vincent Kan (VKanSC)

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:50 AM
  • Hi Ray,

How about for my issue ?  Thanks

Best regards

Vincent Kan

Monday, December 3, 2018 12:58 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Any news ? Please feedback

Thanks

Best Regards