Update Automatically Imported MP's RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am quite new as a OpsMgr administrator. I have done a lot of googeling, but I am not able to find out how to update all of the automatically imported MP's.

Will Operations Manager 2007 SP1 Management Pack do the job, or is the only way to achive this to upgrade to R2?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 12:54 PM

Answers

• i think it's just 1 mp to download, which has all these mp's you see in the administration overview.

edit: i think you found it already. But look at this, sp1 not listed :)

Operations Manager 2007 SP1 Management Pack

Works With:
    Operations Manager 2007, Operations Manager 2007 R2

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Also, be sure to get the cumulative update.  Some management pack changes cannot be made via import, and are updated in the cumulative updates.  Additionally, fixes for problems will come via the cumulative update.

The MP that Rob1974 mentions is the first and final update to the management pack for SCOM 2007 SP1 as well, and does address a number of issues.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:01 PM

All replies

• I think you are asking "I am using Operations Manger 2007 SP1, how can I update my management packs?  is there a way to set them to automatically update any time a new verson is posted?"

If this is the case, the answer is no, there isn't a way to do this automatically.

If you are an SCOM 2007 R2 administrator, the import management pack wizard can show you what MP's are available that are updates to the packs you have.

Because MP updates can require significant customization to fit your specific environment, automatic import is not something that you would want to do without a choice.  Operations environments are best when change is planned - so automatically changing things without your control would not be something we would want to do directly.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

I am of course looking forward to us upgrading to R2, but that is not up to me.

I have been assigned the task to check all management packs for updated versions. I just need to know wether an updated version excists or not. All our Automaticaly Imported Management Packs have the same version number as our SCOM installation (6.0.6278.0).

What I need to know is wether the Management Packs that comes with the installation of SCOM always will have the same version number as the SCOM instaltation, or if updated versions are available without R2.

Regards

Paul Berg

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hi Paul

You can get a list of the latest management pack versions here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=management+pack&sortCriteria=Date&sortOrder=Descending&stype=ss_rr&displaylang=en&nr=50

The version numbers will change so you will find that you need to update a fair number of the management packs that you have installed. Be particularly careful with some that might need old versions uninstalling before installing a new version or that might generate a lot of alerts during an "upgrade".

E.g. clustering \ AD \ Exchange

You'll also need to be careful to make sure the MP is for SP1 ... Exchange 2007 has different versions for SP1 and R2 and the cumulative update is a different executable as well.

Cheers

Graham
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Thank you for your reply

The list is usefull, but not exactly what I was looking for. I am primarely interested in the about 40 MP's that is automatically imported when SCOM 2003 SP1 is first installed.

For instance Application Log Library, Baseling Task library and so forth. They are all listed in the SCOM 2003 Operations Guide, and are visible in SCOM under Management Packs.

They are not listed at Microsoft Download.

Are these Management Packs or Librarys available in updated versions, or are they normally upgraded only when the application itself are beeing upgraded?

Or will Operations Manager 2007 SP1 Management Pack do the job?

Regards

Paul Berg

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:58 PM
  • i think it's just 1 mp to download, which has all these mp's you see in the administration overview.

edit: i think you found it already. But look at this, sp1 not listed :)

Operations Manager 2007 SP1 Management Pack

Works With:
    Operations Manager 2007, Operations Manager 2007 R2

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Also, be sure to get the cumulative update.  Some management pack changes cannot be made via import, and are updated in the cumulative updates.  Additionally, fixes for problems will come via the cumulative update.

The MP that Rob1974 mentions is the first and final update to the management pack for SCOM 2007 SP1 as well, and does address a number of issues.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:01 PM