none
MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple project plans open at one time. When I close one of them, MS Project closes all other project plans and application itself closes. I checked all options but can't seem to find one the stops this. Does anyone know how to prevent this?
    Monday, July 6, 2015 3:06 PM

All replies

• Dan --

I have never seen this behavior.  Are you clicking File > Close to close each project?  If not, how are you closing the project?  Is this a new problem or has this happened before?  Is there any chance that there are macros running in our copy of Microsoft Project?  Please let us know the answers to these questions.  Also, please let us know what version of the software you are using and whether it is updated with the latest Service Packs and Cumulative Updates.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 6, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Dale,

I have double clicked on the project icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen and tried clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner but both close all projects and the application.  The only way I can close a single project plan without closing all others and the app itself is to right click on the project I want to close and hit close window.  Then the other projects stay open.  Very odd in that all other MS apps close the doc or spreadsheet you are on any of the other ways I mentioned above.  I don't have any macros running in the background.

I am using Project 2013 which I installed a week ago.  Thanks for the response.

Dan

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Dan --

Double-clicking the Project icon in the upper left corner of the screen is entirely the source of your problem.  Click File > Close and you can close each project individually.  To exit the application, you can click the big X button (Close button) in the upper right corner of the screen.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:12 PM
  • Dale,

I am good thanks.  Double clicking in Word, Excel, PPT, etc. will close just the one doc, ss, or ppt you are working on while leaving all others open so not sure why project would be any different but I will just right click.  Odd ways of MS!!

Thanks again,

Dan

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Hi Dan Focazio,

MS Project is different, because it is a SDI (single document interface) application, whereas the other apps you mention are MDI (you guessed it, multi document interface).  It's a historic limitation....

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, July 6, 2015 8:18 PM
  • Dan --

As you are quickly learning, Microsoft Project has a mind of its own.  Although it shares many behaviors and features in common with other applications in the Microsoft Office, there are other behaviors and features that are unique to Microsoft Project alone.  For example, an excellent feature in Microsoft Project is being able to add a new row by selecting its location and pressing the Insert key on your computer keyboard.  When my students see this behavior, they like it; but then they are saddened to learn than you cannot add a new row in Excel using the same technique!  Hope this helps.

Also, if one of my responses answered your question, please mark it as the answer.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 6, 2015 8:18 PM