none
Hyperlinks in tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Server 2010.

I inserted hyperlinks in some tasks in a Gantt and it has doubled the time taken to save the Gantt which I opened in MS Project. The hyperlinks are to items/records in a Sharepoint list.

Any ideas how to speed up the saving process?

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:24 AM

Answers

• HFprojects --

Did you apply the Hyperlink table and specify the hyperlinks in the relevant fields in that table?  Or did you embed the hyperlinks in the name of the task?  If the latter, this would be a definite no no, as you are using several special characters in the task name.  In addition to the restriction on not using special characters in project names, I recommend you apply this restriction to task names wherever possible.  If you embedded the hyperlink in the task name, remove it and place it in the Hyperlink table for the relevant tasks.  Then save and publish and let us know if this reduces the save time on this project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:47 AM

All replies

• HFprojects --

Did you apply the Hyperlink table and specify the hyperlinks in the relevant fields in that table?  Or did you embed the hyperlinks in the name of the task?  If the latter, this would be a definite no no, as you are using several special characters in the task name.  In addition to the restriction on not using special characters in project names, I recommend you apply this restriction to task names wherever possible.  If you embedded the hyperlink in the task name, remove it and place it in the Hyperlink table for the relevant tasks.  Then save and publish and let us know if this reduces the save time on this project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:47 AM
  • Thanks; it helped.
    Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:34 AM
  • HFProjects --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:07 PM
  •  the Hyperlink table for the relevant tasks? what is that and where to find it?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Maxmnl --

In Microsoft Project, click the View tab to display the View ribbon.  In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Tables pick list and select the Hyperlink table.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:35 PM