none
Interim baseline RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• In the Set Baseline dialog box, you have a choice to "Set Baseline" or "Set interim plan." 

Set interim plan saves only the Start and Finish dates, rather than full baseline information, which would include Work, Cost, Deliverable dates, Budget Cost, etc.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

Adding on to Reid, Interim Plan is used when you have exhausted all of your 11 Baselines and now you are planning to just baseline Start/Finish only. You have 1 to 10 Start/Finish for this.

Sapna S
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:12 PM
  • hi reid,

Thanks reid,

I need more explanation about interim plan, could you give more information about it....

• Edited by G.Gokul Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:18 PM
  • You can refer to the following link, it has an over-view of the Baseline and Interim Plan : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/create-or-update-a-baseline-or-an-interim-plan-HA010156784.aspx
    Sapna S
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:43 PM
  • G.Gokul:

In reality, an interim plan (a snapshot of the current start and finish dates only) is used to compare to a current verison of the schedule later.  Here is an example: 

Let's say that, as part of my contract on a project, I have a monetary incentive to complete the phases on schedule (based on planned duration - not specific dates).  At the beginning of each phase, I will save an interim plan to compare the actuals to at the end of that phase.  Comparing the actual starts/finishes to the interim plan starts/finishes will indicate if the phase tasks were completed within the planned duration. 

This phase-by-phase information would not have been saved as part of the baseline since the project has changed since execution.  You can complete many phases of a project within planned duration and budget, while the project as a whole can be wildly over budget or behind schedule.

Hope this has helped.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Sapna,

It is also used when you only need the dates for the activities. As you probably know, baselines contain a large amount of information and system performance begins to drop drastically after you have used about half of them.

So, if you are concerned about system performance and you only require start and finish dates for tasks, consider using an interim plan.

I would recommend it for comparing between current and previous period and the like.

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:27 PM