none
App-V 4.6 Sp1 deletes attempts to Sequence Google Chrome 17

Question

• I'm new to using App-V and was attempting to sequence Google Chrome 17.  However I noticed that App-V 4.6 Sp1 likes to delete parts of Google Chrome as it is sequenced. 

Following what was discussed in:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/1683399a-fcaa-48bb-a354-733a57e9fd4b

I was able to get a semi functional Google Chrome but some subtle things were still not working.  Perhaps I overlooked a detail or two.

But one other thing I noticed is that Google Chrome uses the following Registry Key's subkeys to figure out what it's own directory path is otherwise the Chrome.exe has to be in the version number subfolder to even launch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Google\Update\Clients

After Chrome is sequenced, in addition to the Chrome folder, the above key is also deleted.  The registry keys are in package but the package acts like they are not there.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:41 PM

Answers

• My advise would be to check your exclusion items with in the APP-V Sequencer go to tools options and it's the third tab over. Sounds like they get captured during the sequence but then are excluded.

You could refer to Aarons site for version 15. It would still be applicable.

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/sequencing-google-chrome-15/

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Just finished kicking the tires of App-V 5.0.  Sequenced Google Chrome Enterprise Edition 22 and 23 and they work fine!  Sequencing doesn't delete folders anymore!  Group Policy objects work great too.

Now want to sequence Google Chrome "Canary" version 24.  It has a bug fix for printing from Google Docs to a Xerox printer.
    • Marked as answer by VgerNYC Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:20 AM
    • Edited by VgerNYC Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:24 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

• My advise would be to check your exclusion items with in the APP-V Sequencer go to tools options and it's the third tab over. Sounds like they get captured during the sequence but then are excluded.

You could refer to Aarons site for version 15. It would still be applicable.

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/sequencing-google-chrome-15/

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:59 PM
  • I'll review the exclusions again.  But it seems like Google Chrome only really wants these registry keys and the main Chrome directory.

I've used Aaron's recipe. I thought it was awesome how he caught the pending operations trying to delete the Chrome folder.  However I think App-V is doing something similar to Chrome's registry.  If I can perfect what he started I'll post it in Aaron's Chrome recipe forum post.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Hi, I've been running int the same issue Sequencing Chrome v21.x then I found an easy way to virtualize it,
    I explain it all on my personnal blog (http://www.adnc.fr/virtualisation/246-virtualiser-google-chrome-avec-app-v-46-sp1)
    but as it is in french I'll give the basic idea here, you should not try to Sequence it with the original installer,
    what I did is install it then copy chrome.exe with it's other binaries:
     (everything in same folder)

Then I made a self extracting file using 7-Zip any other or a simple copy / paste will do,
    then I ran Sequencer as I usually do for others Software and use my self extracting file as main installer.

AS said before you can also simply copy and paste the folder itself in your q: drive.

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Just finished kicking the tires of App-V 5.0.  Sequenced Google Chrome Enterprise Edition 22 and 23 and they work fine!  Sequencing doesn't delete folders anymore!  Group Policy objects work great too.

Now want to sequence Google Chrome "Canary" version 24.  It has a bug fix for printing from Google Docs to a Xerox printer.
    • Marked as answer by VgerNYC Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:20 AM
    • Edited by VgerNYC Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:24 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:20 AM