SCCM 2012 failover plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi SCCM Giants,
    i have question related to SCCM Design.
    i am planing to introduce SCCM 2012 to our company and the machine count is 6000 (approx) distributed in Europe
    i have two scenarios,
    1. 1 CAS and 2 Primary and rest all as DP with PXE Support.
    2. 1 Primary and 5 Secondary in major Regions and rest all as DP with PXE Support.
    Now my question is,
    Scenario 1:
    1.1. I planned CAS so that in future if my company plans to separate a site then i can build one primary and SQL Reporting and Administration will be separate.
    1.2. Now i have a doubt that if CAS is down, Primary will still work fine and during CAS DR  will there be any Replication issue between CAS and Primary.
    1.3. If Primary goes Down, and if i have primary site MP and SMS Provide running in separate Server will the environment will be UP or Down, i mean will PXE build, RAP installation, Updates installation will work with there two roles running.
    1.4. If Primary1 is Down, i can run the script to resign the clients to report to Primary2, but what about the DP's under Primary1. is it possible to instruct clients to take contents from Primary1 DP's or changing to DP's to fall under Primary2.
    Scenario 2:
    2.1. i seen many blogs referring that install CAS only when you really need it to avoid complexity.
    2.2. If i run a stand Alone Primary and its down, and i have 1 MP and 1 SMS Provider running in separate server will the environment will be UP or Down, i mean will PXE build, RAP installation, Updates installation will work with there two roles running.
    2.3. if the case has become like Primary Server OS is crashed / HW, what is the best practise DR.
    2.4. If Secondary site is Down, what is the DR options available for Secondary Site.
    2.5. Is it possible to ressign all the DP's reproting to Secondary 1 to a Secondary 2
    2.6. I found Secondary site DB size jumps to 2+ GB immediately after the installation, is this 2 GB copied from Primary (WAN / LAN) or its part of installation.
    Thanks in Advance
    SithaYuvaraj
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:56 PM

All replies

• 1) You have 6,000 clients = do not install a CAS.

2) Fault tolerance is not a question of installing multiple primary sites. You should rather (in my oppinion) considr multiple site system servers (multiple MP's, DP's etc. and consider having a replicated SQL on your MP.

3) Brian Mason just wrote a very good blog post on the very sam topic - http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/06/21/planning-for-some-redundancy-in-cm07-or-cm12/

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:54 PM
  • 1) You have 6,000 clients = do not install a CAS.

2) Fault tolerance is not a question of installing multiple primary sites. You should rather (in my oppinion) considr multiple site system servers (multiple MP's, DP's etc. and consider having a replicated SQL on your MP.

3) Brian Mason just wrote a very good blog post on the very sam topic - http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/06/21/planning-for-some-redundancy-in-cm07-or-cm12/

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

i have checked the website quoted in your reply. its has given me some useful information.

can you answer my scenario question if possible to help me design accordingly.

also i have checked a blog about SCCM 2012 SP1 which stated that stand alone Primary can be joined to CAS, is this true.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:27 PM

• also i have checked a blog about SCCM 2012 SP1 which stated that stand alone Primary can be joined to CAS, is this true.

That is true. ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 is not yet released in production.

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur :: MY Site:  www.AnoopCNair.com :: FaceBook:  ConfigMgr(SCCM) Page ::

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Hi Kent,

i have one more question,

if i plan to have 2 MP and 1 connecting to Clustered SQL directly and the other MP using the Local SQL Replica.

my question here is, i believe SQL Express edition cannot be used as SQL Replica, will SQL Standard Edition be enough or i need SQL Enterprise. (My Primary site SQL DB will be SQL Standard.)

Thanks in Advance
    SithaYuvaraj

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:55 PM