The system and data partition RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and saw that the users private and public data are still saved in the C:\Users of the system partition.

So, I'm looking for a specific guide for Windows 7 that separates the system partition from the users private and public data, saved in another partition on the same disk. In addition, private data created during the creation of new accounts (including the Administrator account) must be saved directly in the other partition.

In other words, in the C:\Users directory, the All Users, Default and Default User diirectories must only remain and its must to be fully functional.

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can change the location of user profile that by using the following method:

Warning before you attempt making any change in the registry, make sure you have the original registry backed up. This can save your mass if you did something wrong.

1. Copy the original Default profile folder in C:\users to the new location. (by default this “Default” directory is hidden, you need to go Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > Show Hidden files, folders, and drivers.)

2. Copy the original Public profile folder in C:\users to the new location. (lets say D:\ drive)

3. Open Registry Editor by type regedit from command line, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

4. Change the ProfileDirectory keys to the new location accordingly.

5. Log off. From this point on, any new user logged in to this computer will have a new user profile that’s located in the new location.

If you want to move to the old profile to a new partition, refer the following article:

http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista/

Thomas77
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Hello,

You can change the location of user profile that by using the following method:

Warning before you attempt making any change in the registry, make sure you have the original registry backed up. This can save your mass if you did something wrong.

1. Copy the original Default profile folder in C:\users to the new location. (by default this “Default” directory is hidden, you need to go Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > Show Hidden files, folders, and drivers.)

2. Copy the original Public profile folder in C:\users to the new location. (lets say D:\ drive)

3. Open Registry Editor by type regedit from command line, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

4. Change the ProfileDirectory keys to the new location accordingly.

5. Log off. From this point on, any new user logged in to this computer will have a new user profile that’s located in the new location.

If you want to move to the old profile to a new partition, refer the following article:

http://joshmouch.wordpress.com/2007/04/07/change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista/

Thomas77

In the new accounts, each directory (including the default directories) that I put in the default libraries of Windows 7, not working well as in the "XXX library path" windows appears the word "not responding" to the right of each directory.

So, how do I create new accounts with the function library fully functional?

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Hello,

Do you meant that windows will stopped working when using the function 'Libraries' when using the new account? Try to remove all included folders:

1. Open Libraries.
    2. Right click Documents and choose properties, Remove all included folder.
    3. Repeat to steps to all Libraries.

Thomas77
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Hello,

Do you meant that windows will stopped working when using the function 'Libraries' when using the new account? Try to remove all included folders:

1. Open Libraries.
    2. Right click Documents and choose properties, Remove all included folder.
    3. Repeat to steps to all Libraries.

Thomas77

Then, as I do I restart properly "libraries" function in the new account? In other words, how do I make so that this function works correctly in this new account?

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:43 AM
  • HI

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I ran, as administrator, the command prompt, and I ran these commands to separate, in the D partition, the new accounts and the public directory:

robocopy C:\Users D:\Users /secfix /copyall

robocopy C:\Users\Public D:\Users\Public /e /secfix /copyall /r:1 /w:0

Later, I changed the values of the ProfilesDirectory and Public entries of this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList registry key:

ProfilesDirectory=D:\Users

P
    ublic=D:\Users\Public

I noticed, however, that, enabling the Administrator account or creating new accounts, the automatic indexing system of new accounts (including the Administrator account) and of new public directory structure does not work.

So, what I should do to ensure that also these structures are automatically indexed properly?

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Hello Balubeto,

Try to manually add the D:\users to system index:

1. Open control panel, open index options.
    2. Click Modify, uncheck the old c:\users and then select D:\users folder. 

If you get any the error message after performing this steps? Please help me to upload it to skydrive.

Thomas77
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Hello Balubeto,

Try to manually add the D:\users to system index:

1. Open control panel, open index options.
    2. Click Modify, uncheck the old c:\users and then select D:\users folder. 

If you get any the error message after performing this steps? Please help me to upload it to skydrive.

Thomas77

Manually, it works.

So, how I can automate this procedure correctly since, obviously, I can not access any accounts that I create to do this?

THANKS

BYE

Balubeto
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:39 AM