VM's stored in shared folder, target location in vmm not possible RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear Sirs,

In Hyper-v I can store the virtual harddisk in a shared folder on 2008 file server (which gives good performance i must say..) but in VMM 2008 i can not choose a file share, only local drives (New virtual machine -> Save Path). Can you give me more information on this subject?

also another question : when deploying windows XP (without sysprep.inf file) and filling in all the fields when creating the windows xp virtual machine, the vm deploys successfully, starts the vm to customize and then waits for the computer name. The base vhd was sysprepped without changing any option just clicking reseal. is this a bug or xp specific? Vista and server 2008 work flawlesly.

kind regards,

Jack

Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:40 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Jack,

I do not have a favorite vendor so I am sure as long as the specs are decent they would work fine.  I personally like using big boxes to virtualize more machines - my company standardizes on Dell and because of that my standard platform is the PowerEdge 6850 and now the PowerEdge R900 with 32-64GB of RAM.  However this may not work for everyone due to either cost or performance.  I looks for a machine that will support at least 20 VMs my bigger boxes will support ~50 however I have not had the time to benchmark them.  By far the most important thing is to ensure that you do not get too small of machines because then not only are you supporting OS on the host but also on a few VMs (which doesn't help anyone).  If you have a need to support 20 VMs and you get a machine that will run 20 VMs then you will end up maintaining 21 Operating Systems.  If you get machines that can only support 5 VMs then you will be taking care of 24 VMs.  On the other hand you should plan on having at least 2 physical machines in case one fails you can run on 50% capacity until it is repaired.

As for XP and sysprep the problem as you describe it is the Sysprep wizard is configuring it for OOBE (out of box experience).  In order to override this use the reseal button after checking the Use Mini-Setup option.  Once this is done, recreate the template (or just replace the old vhd) then it should work when filling in computer name.

-matt

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Marquisian,

Question 1 - Why can't VMM use Remote File Server Storage when Hyper-V can?

I don't believe the VMM team is planning on supporting this feature of Hyper-V.  This would be due to the added complexity of supporting multiple virtualization platforms that may or may not support storage on CIFS.  Hyper-V supports it, Virtual Server does not, and I do not think VMWare supports it (I think they support NFS instead).  However please keep in mind this is beta and it is possible they could add this before release (although I personally would doubt it).  If you really think it should be added you can leave feedback on the Beta site http://connect.microsoft.com

Question 2 - Why is my XP VM not being cusomized?

How are you deploying this VM?  From the console - creating the machine, or using the Self-Service Portal with a template, or from the console with a template?

-matt

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:39 PM
  •  

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your answers.

I think it is a needed add on to vmm and a very usefull one as also the smaller companies can use load balancing and quick failover without needing to invest in fiber or iscsi devices. I'll post the feedback also to connect.

I mean, you do not have to buy Melio or kalio or somehting like that to have all your vm's stored on your central storage and it's working great! so I hope they will implement it.

second.

Deployment is through template will all fields filled in except computername where a * is

Then indeed through the console right click the template and select new virtual machine

fill in the fields, including the computername and wait..then at the customization point, you connect to your xp machine and it is waiting for you to enter a username to be used as login (?) seems like workgroup, maybe he can not find a suitable network? but why  vista and 2008 can be deployed without these problems?

Again, much appreciated that you took the time to answer.

Regards,

Jack

Monday, July 14, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Hi Jack,

There are quite a few inexpensive iSCSI options out there, I personally am fond of iStor - they have a 5TB system for less than 8K - keeping in mind that most small businesses would not need 5TB they could probably get something much more affordable.  Also the biggest thing is to purchase properly sized hosts to begin with.  Another option is software iSCSI such as StarWind.  Although without a SAN I would definitely recommend using local storage.

When using a template you should define the computername, this should resolve your issue (this is based off of my experience with SCVMM 2007 as I have not used the SSP in 2008 yet).  Please post back if it does not.

-matt

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Hi Matt!

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into iStor. For hosts what do you think of those supermicro twin servers for virtualization?

for the XP Post back, i've added a computer name to the template, rerun create virtual machine based on that template.

but at 81% the virtual machine job stals and if you connect to the new (running) virtual machine, it is waiting in a nice blue screen that says :

Welcome to microsoft windows

Thank you for purchasing this computer featuring microsoft windows xp

Let's spend a few minutes setting up your computer

To continue click next (green block with white arrow)

seems he does not do any system customization, should i have prepared the disk with mini setup instead of reseal?

thanks for al lthe help!

Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:19 PM
  •  

Hi Jack,

I do not have a favorite vendor so I am sure as long as the specs are decent they would work fine.  I personally like using big boxes to virtualize more machines - my company standardizes on Dell and because of that my standard platform is the PowerEdge 6850 and now the PowerEdge R900 with 32-64GB of RAM.  However this may not work for everyone due to either cost or performance.  I looks for a machine that will support at least 20 VMs my bigger boxes will support ~50 however I have not had the time to benchmark them.  By far the most important thing is to ensure that you do not get too small of machines because then not only are you supporting OS on the host but also on a few VMs (which doesn't help anyone).  If you have a need to support 20 VMs and you get a machine that will run 20 VMs then you will end up maintaining 21 Operating Systems.  If you get machines that can only support 5 VMs then you will be taking care of 24 VMs.  On the other hand you should plan on having at least 2 physical machines in case one fails you can run on 50% capacity until it is repaired.

As for XP and sysprep the problem as you describe it is the Sysprep wizard is configuring it for OOBE (out of box experience).  In order to override this use the reseal button after checking the Use Mini-Setup option.  Once this is done, recreate the template (or just replace the old vhd) then it should work when filling in computer name.

-matt

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Hi Jack,

I just looked at that machine in a little more detail, and it looks like they only have SATA drive options.  If you are looking for options for a large Virtualization implementation you will definitely want a solution that is SAS or SCSI, since disk i/o can be a real problem when you are working with multiple operating systems writing to the same driveset.  Here is an article talking about the differences between SCSI and SATA:

http://wiki.emdstorage.com/Hardware/DriveInterfaceComparison

-matt

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks, i'll look into it!!

regards,

Jack

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Hey Matt!

Hmm yes our company is also standardized on Dell but more the 2950 III energy smart systems with connected to it the M3000 storage devices using passthrough disks for hyper-v, but is decentralized solution, that's why i'm looking also at other solutions like the shared folder and iscsi based solutions.On the other hand if you have 1 big storage system and a lot of good servers with enough direct or non direct storage you have a backup of all your vm's in the vmm library and can use DPM to backup the running vm's to other (slower) storage.

I'm going to change the XP boot Image with the mini setup checked and post the results.

thanks for all the assistiance!

Regards,

Jack

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:13 PM
  •  

Matt,

After setting the "use Mini Setup" option and rresealing the xp vhd i was able to provision new xp machines based on this vhd. Even in the template computername * works and in the web interface you can set the computername as wanted.

Thanks!

Regards,

Jack

Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:32 PM