2 problems with my Win 7 Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• 1. When I run the Windows updates and it installs them my computer locks up on reboot. I have my updates turned off but it sucks that I can't get the secuity updates etc because of this issue? Anyone else have this issue, the computer is only 2 years old and all but the next question has been working fine.

2. When I plug something into a USB port (on my almost new) Win 7 desktop, it always gives me the pop up saying this device could run faster if I use a different usb port? This is the ports right on the front of the machine and I don't know why it's giving me the pop up.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Cwire69,

Some Windows Updates require restart to finish installation. It's not recommended to turn the Windows Updates off. Then you won't receive any important security updates.

The second situation you described is that you plug your usb device into a USB 1.1 version port, not the USB 2.0 one. Please see the explaination here: http://ask-leo.com/what_does_the_usb_device_can_perform_faster_mean.html

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Miya 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, September 30, 2011 4:28 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:11 AM

All replies

•  
    1. have you tried doing the updates one at a time. and reboot after each.

2. it is possible the ports on the front are USB 1, you might check the
    document for the motherboard or computer to see if some other USB port is
    USB 2 which would be faster.
     --

mikeyshd
       "Cwire69" wrote in message
    news:677c840b-66bb-44d1-bc24-f10fba11c389@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > 1. When I run the Windows updates and it installs them my computer locks
    > up on reboot. I have my updates turned off but it sucks that I can't get
    > the secuity updates etc because of this issue? Anyone else have this
    > issue, the computer is only 2 years old and all but the next question has
    > been working fine.
    >
    > 2. When I plug something into a USB port (on my almost new) Win 7 desktop,
    > it always gives me the pop up saying this device could run faster if I use
    > a different usb port? This is the ports right on the front of the machine
    > and I don't know why it's giving me the pop up.
    >
    >
    >

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Hi Cwire69,

Some Windows Updates require restart to finish installation. It's not recommended to turn the Windows Updates off. Then you won't receive any important security updates.

The second situation you described is that you plug your usb device into a USB 1.1 version port, not the USB 2.0 one. Please see the explaination here: http://ask-leo.com/what_does_the_usb_device_can_perform_faster_mean.html

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Miya 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, September 30, 2011 4:28 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:11 AM