none
Assign Different Work Each Day? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm fairly new to Projects, but have done some digging around and can't seem to find an answer to my query anywhere.

I'm setting up Projects for my company, scheduling out who does what, when. However, the field managers here travel to several ongoing jobs each week. For example, a manager might be scheduled to visit and help at Site 1 on Monday and Tuesday, Site 2 on Wednesday and Thursday, and be back in the office on Friday. Also, sometimes, we'll have an employee with a certain expertise switching between jobs throughout a week; i.e., he may be on Site 1 for most of the week, and then be needed on Site 2 on Friday. Unfortunately, our jobs don't have distinct phases (lay foundation/build walls/set roof etc.) so I can't break the week-long task up in any meaningful way.

Here is my question: Is there a way to divvy up a person between several ongoing jobs on different days?

Thanks very much,

John

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:36 PM

Answers

• John,

The first question is, what exactly do you expect Project to do for you? For example, what you are trying to track or accomplish? What type of data do you need?

If the schedule is completely "loose", and it sounds like it may be, the best approach may be to set up tasking (e.g. work at site 1, work at site 2, contact customers (office work), etc.) each with a fixed duration, say a week at a time. Then you would assign the manager to that task but not at full time. For example, he may work 3 days at site 1, then 1 day at site 2, and back in the office on Friday. This tasking would be manually input (not manually scheduled) via the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

At least that's one thought.

John

• Marked as answer by hudso2012 Monday, August 22, 2016 7:09 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 6:53 PM

All replies

• John,

The first question is, what exactly do you expect Project to do for you? For example, what you are trying to track or accomplish? What type of data do you need?

If the schedule is completely "loose", and it sounds like it may be, the best approach may be to set up tasking (e.g. work at site 1, work at site 2, contact customers (office work), etc.) each with a fixed duration, say a week at a time. Then you would assign the manager to that task but not at full time. For example, he may work 3 days at site 1, then 1 day at site 2, and back in the office on Friday. This tasking would be manually input (not manually scheduled) via the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.

At least that's one thought.

John

• Marked as answer by hudso2012 Monday, August 22, 2016 7:09 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Thanks for the rapid response!

The goal is to give an accurate depiction to management of how our resources (personnel) are being used and distributed across each job. Eventually, we hope to use this to gauge our capacity for future growth, as well as production bottlenecks.

I believe you're correct in saying that this is a loose schedule. It looks like the Task Usage view is exactly what I needed!

(It seems the issue is that when I clicked on the view previously, my screen was scrolled down further than the data showed, so I believed the page to be blank! Whoops)

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:09 PM
  • John,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:04 PM