FCS without SQL RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I am planning to deploy FCS in my organization, we are having 81 desktops. I think the FCS with SQL is heavy for us to purchase, can u people suggest me a another way to maintain my database.
    We are having SQL server 2000 Licensing, is it helpful for us. Do u think FCS need SQL 2005 for maintaining the reports.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hi, unfortunately to use FCS and get the full management etc. you must use SQL 2005. It doesn't work at all with any other version, as all of the reports use SQL 2005 Reporting Services

cheers

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:48 PM
  • FCS does require SQL 2005 but if you do not have SQL 2005 available I believe their is a bundled part number that has a SQL included in the yearly cost to support deployments up to 10k users but for smaller organizations you might be better off just purchasing the base SQL and CALs seprately.

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:20 AM
  • Hi,

When purchasing FCS, you need to by the management console (if you want central management) and the clients themselves.

in order to use the management console you do need SQL 2005, and there is no other way to avoid it. but...

incase you don't have SQL2005 and you do want to use the FCS management features, MSLicensing offers you  to purchase the "Forefront Client Security Managment Console w/SQL" which bundles the package with a dedicated SQL and licensing for FCS only in a "special" price. I cannot name specific prices over the web since everything is up to your License reseller, but I do assure you that it makes the deal worth while.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:37 PM